What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.striatula

• Thread starter sundewrex
  • Start date
2004224214547190.jpg

One of my favorites  
laugh.gif

Nice flower! Can you give us a little informations about this species? I don't know anything about it... and it seems very proliferous in your pot!

Is this species established in your pot or is it material that has recently been collected and put into the pot?

I've heard that this species can be very difficult to maintain in cultivation and was wondering how you managed to keep it looking so healthy.

I'm thinking the plant would appreciate a very high water level to grow well. How do you grow yours?

Sean.

I only know a little bite,they grow on cliff or rock surface with slowly running water,the fower is white with a yellow spot,they are native to Hong Kong.
The plants were collected last summer,the picture was taken at the same time too,I use long fiber sphagnum for growing media,  now they are still alive and growing well,flowers are comming soon      
wink.gif

rex

Nice! I like the dainty little white flowers.:)

All Utricularia have traps that are underground. These traps are tiny and can only catch really small insects. Here is a picture to help you out.
U_LongifoliaTraps2.jpg

SF

Actualy one species has above ground traps!,I can`t remember the specie though.

There is actually quite a few species which hold their traps above the ground surface. These species generally grow submerged in water. Some examples are- U. benthamii, westonii, arnhemica, beaugleholei and volubilis.

Sean.

I have noticed that U.sandersonii "blue" ocasionaly does this as well.

Back