What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.exoleta

• Thread starter sundewrex
  • Start date
200422622426705.jpg

2004226224145959.jpg

pls don't give comment of my hand
biggrin.gif

My what a nice hand you have! LOL! Beautiful pics, as always!

SF

The ICPS database shows U. exoleta to be a synonym for U. gibba. Would you agree?

This is not U. gibba, it is U. bifida which is the only other yellow-flowered utric.  
Signed, William.
smile.gif

WD/vd

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This is not U. gibba, it is U. bifida which is the only other yellow-flowered utric.
Say what? There are lots of yellow-flowered Utrics (cornuta, flaccida, etc, etc). Back to my initial question. The ICPS database states that exoleta is a synonym for gibba or minor (not bifida). Is the photo indeed of U. bifida?

I'm sure it is not bifida. U.bifida has very diferent calyx with big bracts, and the flower is also different.

Bob, I think what William is saying is that U. bifida is the only other yellow flowered Utric that occurs in Hong Kong. To me it does appear a little different to the U. bifida shots I have seen before. It's a pity we do not have a shot of the flower from front on. The matted effect on the wet soil does appear to be that of an aquatic species.

U. exoleta is considered to be a synonym for U. gibba nowadays. I don't know about exoleta being a synonym of minor though, haven't heard that before. Does this logic therefore mean that U. gibba is supposedly a synonym of U. minor? Surely this cannot be the case as they are both considerably different. Don't want to argue with the ICPS database but it just doesn't seem right.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does this logic therefore mean that U. gibba is supposedly a synonym of U. minor? Surely this cannot be the case

No, No, No
Sorry, I was not clear. The ICPS database shows
Utricularia exoleta {auct. non R.Br.: Hand.Mazz.} to be a synonym for U. minor.

and, Utricularia exoleta {R.Br.}, including additional forms and varieties, being a synonym for U. gibba.

But if U. minor and U. gibba are both synonyms of U. exoleta, then wouldn't that mean that U. gibba and U. minor are also synonyms of each other?

Sean.

Back