What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you grow

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
What media, depth, lighting, humidity do you use to grow these Utrics?

sandersonnii- use peat, medium light, lots of water, high humidity for mine but I'm sure it can take lower humidity. lots of water.:)

My U. livida is in a 2" plastic pot filled with the typical 50:50 peat perlite mix.  I allow its tray to dry between waterings occasionally but I keep the soil damp at all times.

smile.gif

BCK

I use 2 1\2 to 3 inch pots filled with a mix of equal parts peat\perlite in high light\humidity,keep them in a deep water tray and fill it to the brim then let it nearly evaporate before watering again this should keep them blooming happily.

I find that Utics are very easy growers and can grow like weeds baisically anywhere. They don't mind shallow pots since their roots grow mainly on the surface. To my expericence they grow better in a mix with not alot of big things in the mix like perlite. They like Peat and Sand alot or even an all peat mixture is good. Just keep them pretty wet and let them dry out at times too.

My terras are grown in 60 peat/20 perlite/20 sand. I keep them wet and sometimes flood.

I'm looking for the common threads in the responses. It looks like sand, peat, and perlite, good lighting, wet media, but allow occasional drying. Does that sum it up? Thanx!

I grow livida in peat/ sand, but sandersonnii seems to like milled LFS for me. Livida seems indiferent... you could grow it in plywood and it would still thrive.

Cole

U. lividia equal parts peat and silica sand.  high light levels, moderate humidity.  I use the tray method, doesn't need that much watering.  flowering nicely!

U. sandersonii seem to do very well in very high light in a variety of soils, (pure peat, equal parts sand and peat, etc).  Mine seem to do best when planted with Drosera.  No flooding, just the tray method.

hope this helps,

Homer

My livida and sandersonii are all in 50/50 peat and sand. Most are potted in 8 oz clear plastic drinking cups. Watered on tray method, sometimes I flood them and wait for the water to go down before I water again, usually I just fill the tray to about 1/2 inch under the soil line.

Steve

Note (just in case its not a typo..):  Its livida...not lavidia.

smile.gif

Thank you all for your responses! I have upgraded their conditions a bit. No typo - just lacking in knowledge or misread it.

hi. i live in north texas and i just recently acquired these plants. on one care sheet i was looking at, they reccommend temps between 50 to 95 degrees F. It get well over 100 (even in the shade) here during the summer. should i bring them inside then? if so, what kind of light is suitable? i was thinking about putting them on the top shelf of my desk.

my livida is grown in a 4in clay pot planted in bout 60/40 peat/crushed perlite mix. the clay pot placed in a 8 inch plastic container just as tall as the clay pot. i water with ONLY R/O water so dont have to worry about salts building up. i fill the plastic container up to just below the lip of the clay pot and let it evaporate down to within a half an inch from the bottom and then fill it back up. i recieved it as a small pinch of plant material that could barely cover a nickle from a member here back in November it now completely covers the soil in the pot and has been flowering since the end of January. it is in a 75 gal tank with other CPs and orchids growing under 4-4ft bulbs.

rattler_mt

Back