What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.jamesoniana

• Thread starter UtricSeb
  • Start date
Hi,

This past week I went looking for U.jamesoniana and happily found it. It was a nice experience I will write about soon but for now here is a picture for you all to enjoy.

U.jamesoniana-Penol-1.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a beautiful flower. I can only imagine your excitement at having found it in habitat at last. I look forward to your account of this with intense interest!!!

As do I! Wonderful photograph, you can definitly see the relation to U. asplundii

Very interesting flower, the long spur is pretty cool. Sorry for my ignorance but,what type of utric is this?

wow! I cant wait! give us mroe pics please!

pondboy,
its U.jamesoniana

I knew that! But what KIND of utric is it? You know is it epiphetic,aquatic,terestrial etc.

Utricularia jamesoniana certainly is an epiphytic species. It is a member of the Orchidioides section which comprises other species such as U. asplundii, reniformis, nephrophylla, endressii, alpina, humboldtii, nelumbifolia, campbelliana, quelchii, praetermissa and several others.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Not to be too picky (I know, I know ...  
biggrin.gif
), but U.reniformis, U.nephrophylla, U.humboldtii and U.nelumbifolia used to be classified under the Orchidioides section, but were reclassified by Peter Taylor in his fabulous monograph "The Genus Utricularia" (I can highly recommend it) as being in the new section "Iperua".

The breakdown is as follows:

Utricularia section Orchidioides:

U. jamesoniana
U.asplundii
U.campbelliana
U.quelchii
U.buntingiana
U.endresii
U.alpina
U.praetermissa
U.unifolia

Utricularia section Iperua:

U.nelumbifolia
U.reniformis
U.geminiloba
U.nephrophylla
U.humboldtii

(All taken from "The Genus Utricularia" by Peter Taylor,
ISBN 0 947643 72 9)

There's actually a nice story behind the name "Iperua": it actually means "beautiful flower" to the native Arawak Indians, and Utricularia humboldtii according to Taylor is their "beautiful flower" - brings a tear to your eye!

Just thought this may interest all you Utricularia-philes!

Oh, by the way Seb (as I mentioned on the CP UK forum) - fantastic photo, thanks for sharing it with us!

More than happy to be proven wrong
smile.gif

Another reason why I really need to find a copy of Peter Taylors book!

Makes sense that the newly created section contains the species you mention. The flowers all show similarities that the other species lack.

Thanks for the information.

Ther is another obvious difference between plants in both sections. Those of section orchidoides usually grow in humid environments but at places where they never get permanently wet like on tree trunks or rock cliffs. They also have the tubers they use to survive during the dry seasons.
Species in section Iperua grow in wet places and dont have tubers.

Thanks Sebastian,

I have only ever grown U. alpina and knew this species had tubers. I didn't realise that all of the Orchidioides section produced tubers as well.

Sean.

Congrats Sebas!! Cool report and great pics!

Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. In the Iperua section there is one species that does have tubers: U.geminioloba. And as for U.reniformis, it is NOT epiphytic!

A question on U. jamesoniana. Is the form that Sebastian found a typical flower colour or do the flowers show variation? (I know they will vary, but how much?)

I had always imagined that the colour would be different than in Sebastians photos.

Sean.

Seandew, I don´t know other forms so I can´t tell if this is a typical color. I am now aware of other two places near here where U.jamesoniana grows. I will try to go there to see if the plants look different. At least, they are from lower elevations and will surely be easier to grow.

I saw this species in Venezuela and as far as I remember it was very similar to those in Sebastian's pics. And as far as I know there are a few other people who have it in cultivation.

Fernando Rivadavia

Back