What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. pubescens

The Humboldt State University greenhouse has for some years grown a plant labeled U. peltata. The ICPS database states that U. peltata is a synonym for U. pubescens. Until this week, this plant has never flowered. Below are photos of the plant and flower.

There are several links to photos of U. pubescens listed in my Photo Finder,
http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Utricularia.html
Some photos show a dictinct yellow stripe below the "mouth", other photos closely resemble our plant, which has no such stripe.

Any guesses about the identity of the plant below? Is it indeed U. pubescens?
U_pubescens780.JPG

U_pubescens1700.JPG

U_pubescens1698.JPG

Looks like U. pubescens. Taylors lists U. peltata as a synonym as well. He also mentions the yellow blotch may or may not be present. He also mentions a very large amount of variability in flower size, color. With the small peltate leaves being the key identification feature.

I have a couple different plants in flower now that I need to get some pictures of. One is small flowered with smaller leaves with a visible spur and distinct yellow spot. The other is larger over all with just a touch of yellow blotch and the lower corolla about as long as the spur.

Tony

Like I told Bob, this is another of my shames. I can't get this species to flower. I have grown it many times since the 70's, t does well enough, but never flowers.

Hmm dunno Tamlin.. The one form with the larger stature is just flowering now for the first time with a single scape. The smaller form has been flowering on and off, although seems to be more prolific this time of year. So I am guessing it's somewhat seasonal related as I haven't done anything different since I had them. The larger one I have had since last Summer and the smaller one since last Fall.

T

We have had this plant for several years and it never flowered until now. I am growing it 4 different pots in my unheated greenhouse at home and it is flowering in each pot; whereas the same plant in the CP room in the heated greenhouse at the University shows no sign of flowering. My guess is that the near freezing winter low temperature and the warmer and longer day length in my greenhouse has induced it to flower.

I will do everything in my power to minimally kill it next winter. That should be easy enough.

Very interesting. The U. pubescens I got from BobZ in February has already flowered and is working on its second bloom now. Here are a couple somewhat fuzzy pics. Enjoy
biggrin.gif

pics50804_030.jpg

pics50804_031.jpg

Steve

Steve,

Please have your plant call my plant. How are you growing yours, and any clues as to what may have triggered the flowering? A dry period? A light frost? Human sacrifice?

LOL Tamlin. you already know my secret.. toss it in the yard and fill the water trays. It doesnt get any more dry period than any of the others. Basicly I treat it exactly like my VFTs. Its been outside since early February, and we did get a few pretty cool nights, and a few fairly warm days. Other than that I dont know what to tell you. Maybe stick a VFT label on it? lol

Cheers
Steve

It might be those cold nights and warm days. I had mine out all last summer, and it was still no go, no show. This is confusing because I know Bob grows his in an unheated greenhouse.

Arrrrgh. I am back to my fairy theory. They wont flower until tinkerbell zaps them with the wand.

Congratulations on the event, anyways and thanks for the input.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This is confusing because I know Bob grows his in an unheated greenhouse.
Remember, Tamlin, the climate in my unheated greenhouse on the coast in northwestern California is unlike that experienced by those of you that live in the tundra of the frigid northeast. It never freezes in my unheated greenhouse -- well, maybe it freezes once every decade or so. It is interesting that this same plant shows no sign of flowering at the University greenhouse where the minimum temperature in that room is kept above 45F. So perhaps it needs a cooler winter temperature to induce flowering in the spring. Just a guess.

BobZ and all,

saw this topic late but here some fotos and my opinion of a plant I grow about 15 years now:

The foto of the leaves (BobZ) definitely shows U. pubescens. AFAIK there are only two species showing that characteristic leave shape with the stalk inserting in the middle of the leave and that is U. pubescens and U. nelumbifolia. (Sorry for that English but you guys should know what I mean).
Compare it with my plant that was collected decades ago on the way to Ilu Tepui in Venezuela:

upeltataIluTepui1.jpg

But what you show as flowers of U. pubescens are not the flowers of that tiny plant but something else has sown in your pots!!! BobZ: I am sure the foto of the flowers was not made from the pot you showed us the leaves!
To illustrate what U. peltata flowers look like here two fotos, not the best quality just from this evening in the greenhouse to show you what you should expect:

upeltataIluTepui2.jpg

and

upeltataIluTepui3.jpg

You can see the yellow signs on the upper foto.

Hope this helps!

Stefan

Stefan wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BobZ: I am sure the foto of the flowers was not made from the pot you showed us the leaves!
Stefan, I must strongly disagree with you. The flowers are indeed from the pot that I showed the leaves. In fact I have four separate pots of that plant and all are now producing the same type flowers. To be certain that the flower was indeed connected to the same plant with the leaves shown, I carefully excavated the flower stalk and confirmed without a doubt that the flower connected to the plant with the leaves.

Others seem to concur that the plant is U. pubescens. See the CPUK Forum discussion at
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4062

Hi guys,

Let me clear something up before flames start flying.... ;)

But first you must all agree to please stop using U.peltata, since this is a synonym of U.pubescens (unless you want to discuss why you believe they are different species...).

Ok, that settled, let's remember that U.pubescens is an EXTREMELY widespread species. It occurs from India through Africa into South and Central America. It is therefore no surprise that it is a very variable species. Furthermore, it occurs in a wide range of habitats.

In S.America alone I have seen huge to tiny flowers, purple to pink, shady to sunny habitats, wet to dry, 500-3000m altitude.

So keep this in mind when discussing cultivation of U.pubescens (and otehr widespread species). Unless your plants are from the same place, they may have completely different needs in cultivation.

Good luck (you'll need it!),
Fernando Rivadavia

What was the key feature Taylor used in uniting U. ex peltata with U. pubescens? Obviously the flower was not the critical focus.

BobZ and all,

man should read before posting... Yes Bob, you are right and I am definitely wrong because I posted and didnot have another look into Taylor´s Monograph befor. But it looks as we all have different, interesting forms of U. peltata with interesting flower details!

Stefan

BobZ and all,

man should read before posting... Yes Bob, you are right and I am definitely wrong because I posted and didnot have another look into Taylor´s Monograph befor. But it looks as we all have different, interesting forms of U. peltata with interesting flower details!

Stefan

Back