What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. moranthos pic

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
Here is a pic of a very beautiful Utric flower. Ive never seen this flower posted in here so I figure lets spread the joy lol. I recieved this plant from BobZ in early February. Hope you like the pic.
smile.gif

pics50804_026.jpg

Cheers
Steve

I think an earlier discussion determined that this flower is closer to U. dichotoma, lacking the additional furrows associated with the Monathos form. I will have to defer to Sean's opinion though since I have not yet flowered my U. dichotoma "Monathos", and am just going my the key description published by Lowrie. Both forms of U. dichotoma are somewhat similar. Taylor believes the two to be the same species, while Lowrie considers them distinct species.

My understanding is the length of the scape is more important. U. monanthos only a couple cm, while U. dichotoma is substantially longer. There was a discussion over on the CPUK forum too about a similiar situation. Think it is in the photo gallery there.
Tony

YEah, thanks Tony, I remember Sean saying that now. I think U. monathos has those leaf scales on the scape too, and that sets it a little apart.

Here are a couple more pics that show the plant itself. Hopefully this will help get a true ID on it.

moranthos004.jpg

moranthos006.jpg

Cheers
Steve

This plant is definitely a nice dark coloured from of a typical U. dichotoma. There are many collectors growing U. dichotoma incorrectly labelled as U. dichotoma var. monanthos unfortunately.

Firstly, the flowerscape of U. dichotoma var. monanthos is never more than an inch in height (usually about half an inch).

The leafy stolons in your form are flat, whereas the leafy stolons of a true U. dichotoma var. monanthos are hollow and have a slightly inflated appearance.

Still a very nice form though. Better tell Bob to change his label/s.

Sean.

Thank you very much Sean. I will change my labels immediately.

For what its worth.. this plant LOVES San Jose weather. In the few months I have had it, it has completely filled its pot and has produced that beautiful flower. All of the utrics I got from Bob have flourished here.. I cant wait to see them all bloom.

Cheers
Steve

It would experience very similar conditions in San Jose to those in it's native habitats in southern Australia. They grow very quickly in ideal conditions. You should see many more flowers as Summer approaches.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Better tell Bob to change his label/s.
Thanks Sean. I will not only change the labels, but I will send a note to those to whom I have sent the plant. The University has a plant labeled U. monanthos (this one) and another labeled U. dichotoma. I will check the database to see where the plants were originally acquired.

Hey Steve,

I have also been lucky to receive that plant from BobZ and he pointed this thread out to me.  I originally started the picture thread of the supposed U. monanthos flower at CPUK.  Thanks to Sean and others I found out it's true identity.  

To add a note about the flowering of the plant.  Since my original post at CPUK, my plant has flowered  more times and only three of those have been on seperate scapes!  The original flowering scape is now measuring at 13 inches tall; an extra 3 and 1/2 inches since the original flower!  

Also, Sean, from my first pictures you pointed out that the flower's upper corolla was sandwiched between the lower corolla.  This however has not proven to be a character unique to the plant but more unique to those two individual flowers originally photographed.  My 5 new flowers have their upper corolla not sandwiched, free and upright.

Here's the topic link if interested in my photos:  http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3647&highlight=

Back