What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General question..............

ok i think my U. tricolor is done with its transplant shock and its doin somethin funky, the lolons are a rusty red. there are some new lil ones that have come up from the rolons that are green but most of the lolons that were on the original plant are a rusty red color. is this normal? is it getting to much light? any ideas?

Rattler

yah know a simple ive never seen that before can yah get a pic? would suffice. hard to believe 14 plus ppl have looked at this and none have an opinion
smile_n_32.gif

Rattler

U_tricolor791.JPG

I know nothing of this species, but I did a quick internet search until I finally came across a pic. The rest is easy (now).

lol sorry Jim i was being sarcastic and i think you missed my point, i know what its supposed to look like, it looked normal when i got it but now the original leaves have turned the rusty red but otherwise look normal. i ment tha someone sould have asked me to post a pic if they had no clue what it was doing, which i will when i get around to digging the pot out of the jungle of a tank its in. thanks for the pic though.

Rattler

Hmmmm, rust red sounds suspicious. My clone has grown in full sun and never had any red coloration. Try to get a photo up, but for now I would advise that you seggregate the plant in case this is a viral or fungal condition.

ok will do Tamlin. im getting 2 newspapers out the 2 days so it will be Thursday before i get a pic up.

Rattler

One of mine does this.  They will turn green as they get larger.  I believe it has to do with the light source.  I have to tanks and it does not become the red in the brighter one.

Are they turning red as they get older? Is the leaf drying at all?

leafs are not drying any, i know what that looks like. i think its some sort of reaction to transplant shock or the new enviroment. ive only had it a couple weeks and it had a rough trip through the mail. i should have a pic up tomorrow.

rattler

well heres the pic it aint great but you get the idea. the red arrow is pointing to a new green lolon, the blue arrow is to one of the original lolons that was there when it was sent to me. like i said it looks healthy other than its color.

tricolor picture

Although the pic is not too clear, it looks the the soil is covered with algae. Maybe there is something wrong with the soil...

not algae, the greenish color is shredded sphagnum mixed in with the peat. ive been working in that tank today moving things around and taking a few out and putting them in a rubbermaid with some 4ft lights over it since a couple of my Drosera dont care for the very high humidity of my lowland Nep chamber. i see there are LOTS more new green lolons coming up all over. i think im just going to chalk it up as a wierd reaction to transplanting and the new enviroment.

It's hard to tell from the photo. Just remember that division of Utricularia generally sparks new growth, and in some species is essential for health and longevity. I am abo ut to divide my own U. tricolor since it still has shown any inclination to flower. This time I am going to divide it, and then back off on watering the plant. Maybe that will be with winning combo for me.

well its definatly showing the new growth after its finally through what ever shock it recieved. hope you get yours to flower. btw the utrics you sent seem to be doing well, lil flattened from shipping but the lolons are popping up. thanks again.

Back