What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange humboldtii growth?

My recently acquired U. humboldtii is displaying some strange growth, or there is a "weed" of some sort involved here.

humboldtii.jpg

I've looked at pictures of humboldii online and haven't seen grasslike "leaves" on these plants.

-Homer

Hey Homer, its Rain Frog here.

I have had a U. reniformis I got last fall that has woken up from dormancy and has produced something similar. I'm so glad I found this post, as I was about ready to ask the same thing!

My U. reniformis is displaying the same exact thing. That supports more strongly that it is a utric and not some weed. OTher than that, I have no idea why they are doing that. Knowing me, I'm more of a pitcher plant guy, and not the biggest expert on utrics or butterworts (though I wish!)
smile_o_32.gif

The best thing I can do is ask somebody else on this board, as I'm wondering the same thing. At least when will they produce those stolons?

Rain Frog from Dendroboard

Don´t want to scare you but those leaves look like U.praelonga to me.

I was thinking the same thing Sebastian. Looks like you have U. praelonga there rather than U. humboldtii. U.praelonga produces 2 different leafy stolon types.

I had a U.humboldtii that was infested with u.praelonga. Fortunatly only one trade of the bogus plant made it out. I had the exact same growth... looks like you are the proud owner of U.praelonga.

Cole

Can anyone put up a picture of humboldti. I can not find a picture.

This is indeed U. humboldtii, I know since Copper says the plant came from me. U. humboldtii produces this type of leaf in its juvenille stage. I have never had U. reniformis do the same, however. As the plant becomes more established it will make its typical oar shaped leaves.

You learn something new every day! I'll have to find a plant and see for myself. It is very similar to U. praelonga though.

Now you tell me... after I ditched the infested pot! Oh well, at least I didnt loose all of it

Cole

I will have to defer to Tamlin with a whole lot more experience than I in this group.  Have not seen U. humboldtii do that personally.  Growing aquatically in my Brocchinia it makes funny fernish looking leaves underwater.  Sure would have me fooled on the id from the photo!
Tony

Edit: This plant has been passed around a number of times it seems. I would think if it has grown that much and been divided by a number of people that it would have shown the typical oar shaped leaves by now for someone? Have you looked at the traps or anything Tamlin? No offense or anything but just seems really suspect to me..

Well to all keen eyed Utriculariaddicts I must say I would have made the same determination had I not known the impeccability of the source, which is me, hee hee. This plant hails from the ABG collection, for all interested owners.

For future reference, U. hispida also makes the grass like lollons. I'd have bet they were a sedge growing in the pot. Major bummer when I tore them out of the pot and found bladders atttached!

Thank you all for replying and clearing this up for me.  Tamlin, what is the ABG collection?  
confused.gif

-Homer

This is odd. I have grown humboldtii from a very young age and have never seen "juvenile" leaves that are anything other than small versions of the adult-shaped leaves.

This does not appear to be praelonga.  I have compared the two very closely and there are far two many differences.  I will put up pictures later.  First, there is a fern like leaf on mine.  It came from Tamlin with this leaf.  It will not look good due to age, but you can get the idea.  My praelonga never put out a leaf like that.  Second, I have pictures of the long leaves in different stages.  They start oar-shaped and elongate. Third, the praelonga spreads evenly throughout the pot, like livida, with the roots under the soil.  This plant does not like its roots under the soil, but perfers to have the root mass a little above the soil.  Also several leaves grow off of this root mass making it look like an individual plant.  I use the word root loosely of course.  The short leaves of the praelonga do lot look like the ones in my humboldtii (?).  Worryingly (made up word) they look a little like longifolia, which was sitting next to it.  I am careful about not letting my longifolia intrude on any thing else, but

You are right Pyro, I got the plant from Copper via Tamlin.

I really dont think the grass like thing is U.hamboldtii.
I grow U.reniformis, U.bisquamata and U.longifolia and and I have never seen these leaves. It could be an another blladerwort or a weed.

Pyro, this is the clone that you supplied me with.

Believe me folks, I know the difference between U. humboldtii and U. praelonga, and there is no chance I would have grabbed the wrong pot, or that they could have become infected, as both are in completely different terraria.

When I first got my start of this species, it behaved exactly as this one is behaving. All of a sudden it will put up a typical leaf and then the doubts will be removed. Have faith.

I've got my eye on the plant and will take a picture as soon as it produces a "typical" humboldtii leaf.

thanks,

Homer
smilie4.gif

Back