What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange humboldtii growth?

Must be a strange clone! I never had leaves like that on my U. humboldtii....

Tamlin,

I figured given the source
smile.gif
but my clone of this plant never did that so it is just weirding me. Maybe next time I am over there I'll see what the original plant is doing. This could be a mutant

Nope, not a mutant. Dodec has also noted the growth pattern in his plant in the past. I wrote asking him about it when I first noticed it.

Fine, not a mutant but dang freaky IMHO
smile_n_32.gif

Tamlin, did the typical leaves start out as small ones?  Since the plant has been in the sun it is putting put small leaves that look like minitures of the typical humboldtii leaves.

Mine started with only the grass like leaves, then formed some at the surface, just as in your photo. Then suddenly, normal leaves were produced.

Have you checked the sources of the two different types of leaves to make sure they were the same? Could always be humboldtii infested with praelongia....

Who knows. We'll see what mine puts up as it starts growing here soon.

No chance of infestation, as I mentioned, the plants were never adjacent or even close to each other, and neither have ever flowered for me.

It's U. humboldtii, honest. If it isn't, I'll come to the first Terra Forums Clambake in a dress, and drink the contents of a S. purpurea. On stage.

Actually Jan makes a good point and in this case I might be to blame because I grew the two species in close proximity to each other. It still seems odd that one would give way to the other though. I still think it is a mutant
smile_n_32.gif

Hmmmmm. Now you have ME wondering Pyro. I guess we will have to check it with Tim, as I have a distinct recollection (which may mean nothing) that he said he has experienced 3 different leaf forms in U. humboldtii. Meanwhile, if any of the clones from my plant suddenly begin producing typical leaves for the species, then I will have to think it unlikely I could have sent both, since the cutting I gave to copper was not large. Like I have said, these are sneaky plants, and it may be I got a two for one deal, but I still doubt it. Maybe I could get a look at the bladders which should nail it since I can trace the grass like lolon back to its origin beneath the surface, and I also grow a completely different clone that I can swear has never been anywhere near U. praelonga. Just tell me what the difference would be between the two, and I will have a look see. I hate mysteries.

Both U.parelonga and U.hispida have such dimorphic leaves, but can't say if U.humboldtii does this too. Very curious if it does. Well, to get a good ID, you could do some sort of DNA analysis, hehehehe!

Take care,
Fernando Rivadavia

bumped

Did anyone figure out if this plant was U. humboltii or U. pralonga mixed in. ??? Jack

Aw man you got taken by D Darnowski didn't ya? He sent me that too... labeled as "Unidentified Orchidioides possibly U. humboldtii"... Along with U tricolor labeled as "U. quelchii". :censor:

The ultimate necrothread. :lol: An interesting read though, for sure. I, too, am curious of the outcome.

Mine was definitely U. praelonga and not some long-lost form of U. humboldtii, no tubers and never made paddle shaped leaves.

When my real U. humboldtii makes weird leaves they are FERN shaped not praelonga shaped. for a while my U. humboldtii made paddle shaped leaves without a paddle ontop just the stem part but it never made those wide, ground hugging leaves which my specifically labeled U. praelonga did also make. I tried hard to believe otherwise... LOL

Back