What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Livida growing out of bottom of its pot

Hi everyone.  I have a U. livida and today I noticed some of the plant growing out the hole in the bottom of the pot.  It's not just roots and traps, there's some leaves too. Here's some pics of it out of its tray on a wire shelf:

100_0863web.jpg

100_0862web.jpg

Has anyone had this happen before??  After I took these pics I removed it and laid it in the water tray. I figured it would be alright since it's probably been growing underwater for quite some time.  I might even leave it in the tray and see if it will grow like that.

-buckeye

Yes, I have had this happen before with most my utrics at one point in time. U. longifolia, tricolor, sandersonii, bisquamata....

happy growing,

Homer

This is what they do.  Sort of like us drinking beer.  Ok, so maybe not a perfect analogy but.....

I posted about how I had to pull my D. longifolia stolons out of another pot in the same tray.  It had grown out the drainholes and went sneaking around looking for a new pot to crawl up into.  Its growing better in the bin without a pot, so I can't see why.  It is made to  run I think so I am letting it do its thing.

Most of my other species do the same thing after a couple of seasons.  Its actually a threat to the purity of your culture if you are growing a number of different species in the same tray.  You have to keep on eye on these guys, they're sneaky!

Addendum: Hey Look, I am Lavenderdawn! I forgot Valerie logged on with my cpmputer, lol. Oh, the power rush....the things I could do....muahahahaha!

I have 2 livida that have done that.... I have 1 that clogged up the drain holes so bad that it litterally could not draw up water anymore and nearly killed the plant. Plant is happy and healthy again now.. even made a nice division. Other Utrics that I can see are going to do this are bisquimata, sandersonii, dichotoma, phehensilis and possibly tricolor.

Cheers
Steve

Utrics are terrible about that.. I had to keep all mine a few inches apart just so the vigorous ones didn't take over every pot by sneaking through the bottom. I also grew a few in mesh pots just so they could poke out
biggrin.gif
livida1.jpg

Did you know that blladerworts dont have roots?They have stems, not roots. The stems go green in sunlight, roots DO NOT do this.

Yes this is true. I got tired of typing "above ground photosynthetic stolons" so I call the ones above the surface lolons and the ones beneath the surface rolons. It isn't botanicaly correct usage, but it works.

Back