What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tadpole egg sacks

looking around in my aquatic tank I found about 10 tadpole egg sacks
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
some pacific tree frog decided to live there.... but the egg sacks I put into a different tank. If there is one I missed will the tadpoles destroy all my aquatic plants?

no, they wont...

Pacific tree frogs are pretty cool... dont kill em!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I don't mind the frogs....didn't hurt them

Yeah, I agree! Gotta dig the "Krock-Ett!" calls. Too bad the bullfrogs, bass, and whatnot are eating them all.

Sigh. We don't have s**t for herps in E. Nebraska.

Joe

Give the tedpoles food, they wont eat your plants.
Dont give them food, they WILL eat your plants.
Good food for tedpoles are algea.
Regards,
Dino:)

well my turtles destroy all my water plants in there pond . they even chewed the end of my nepenthes because it was next to the pond and they must of stuck there heads up and grabed it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ June 18 2004,11:20)]Give the tedpoles food, they wont eat your plants.
Dont give them food, they WILL eat your plants.
Good food for tedpoles are algea.
Regards,
Dino:)
Do you have any personal experience with that? In all the time that I have raised tadpoles, I havent seen them eat plants(besides decaying or otherwise dying ones)

They love algae, fishflakes, and other similar food items.

Its abit hard to take "tedpoles" and "algea" seriously...lol not saying I'm perfect though!
smile_l_32.gif

Give them spirulina, powdered, the kind you get at a health food store

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ June 19 2004,11:39)]Give them spirulina, powdered, the kind you get at a health food store
Thats pretty expensive compared to fishflakes. Fishflakes also contain spirulina, and tadpoles do get protein when the scavenge on dead animals in the wild too(such as dead tadpoles).

flakes really isnt that healthy for them... ask any dart frogger
smile_m_32.gif
(well, for dart frogs anyways)

For my domestic frogs and salamanders I provide lots of algae. One of my water containers (30 gallon rubbermade trashcan) is left open to the sun and produced wonderful amounts of green water.

I need frogs (Dart or Tree) and am willing to work out a deal!

I have raised lots of tadies on fish flake, endive and spinach. I freeze the spinach and endive first as this softens them. The fish food contains protien which speeds up the tadies growth. Don't feed them cabage I have been told this can cause blindness in frogs. I think it is supposed to have something to do with the toxins in cabage.

Interestingly the toxin is the stuff that makes it bitter. Some people can't taste it and that is why some people HATE brussels sprouts while other people don't mind them.

George

Tadpoles of different species eat different things. Look up your species of frogs and find out if they are filter feeder or grazers. Grazers will eat everything in their path, but will do best on algea and hikari algea waffers, if you have filter feeders your plants will not be touched at all, but you will have to grind up the food for the tadpoles into a powder and keep the water murky green with algea and powderd food at all times. (I just fineshed raising 54 tadpoles into frogs so I'm in froggy mode... okay technically 12 are still polliwogs, but I'm almost done)

Darcie: Not many species are filter feeders besides X. laevius. It is quite safe to assume that most tadpoles someone finds are grazers.

African dwarf frog tads are unique in that they feed in the water column in a similar way to fish fry, and therefore require similar foods(small live food).

Back