What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. amethystina

I don't see or hear much about U. amethystina, so I decided to take a few pictures the other day.

This is about the best I can do with my 2.1 megapixel camera, so here it is.  

amethystina.jpg

amethystinaflower.jpg

-Homer

Well, I can tell you that I have never heard of it!
Its a pretty plant. Could you post more pics of the leaves and the flowers?
Dino

Ya know, there is no such thing as an ugly Utric flower - and this one is no exception! Instead of "bunny ears" it has wings. Nice pic, Homer!

is it a difficult species?

Rattler

This species is very easy to cultivate. I grow this utric in a 4 inch pot with live sphagnum moss and some orchid bark I believe. No tray is used. I treat it just like my Nepenthes, and it does just fine.

-Homer

Hey Homer,

Congrats on getting U.amethystina to flower! This is one of my favorite species. Although very common and widespread in the wild, there are just so many different forms out there that I always enjoy seeing them. They can be purple, lilac, white, bluish, cream, or even bright yellow. Flower shapes and sizes are more variable than in any other Utric species and I believe it will possibly one day be dismembered into a few more species or varieties/ subspecies.

Any idea where your plants are from? In fact, the flower on your plant was not completely open yet in that picture was it? I can't see the typical yellow patch at the base of the lower lip. I almost thought it was U.resupinata!
smile.gif

Good luck,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil

looks like another species i need to find
smile.gif

Rattler

Beautiful flower! Congrats.
smile.gif

Back