What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea pygmea

Hello all!
smile.gif

I want Genlisea pygmea. Um, how rare is this plant?
And, how do you look after it?
Thank you for your help,
Dino
smile.gif

It is fairly uncommon in collections so I suppose you could call it rare. I grow mine a bit on the wet side, in 50/50 peat/sand in warm, bright and humid conditions.

Is Genlisea pygmea a lowland plant?

That sounds like a Fernando question if ever I heard one ;)

I grow my G. pygmea in an undrained pot of live sphagnum moss. It has flowered a few times since I got it about a year ago. Has some nice yellow flowers. Mine came as a single rooted leaf cutting. Its a plant about the size of a quater now.

Did I hear somebody call me??
smile.gif

So is G.pygmaea rare? Well, not on some highlands here in Brazil, hehehe! I guess that answers another question: it is not a "lowlander". It grows mostly in humid sandy soils near natural springs on highlands, from around 500-1500m altitude. Although it is apparently a perenial in cultivation, it might actually be an annual in the wild (much like G.violacea).

G.pygmaea is actually one of the rarest of Genlisea species in Brazil, but still not too hard to find. Actually, to tell you guys the truth, for the past few years I have been tormented with taxonomic doubt as to what the type G.pygmaea really looks like, I never got to see it in Paris. I'm fairly sure there is more than one species in what is presently considered G.pygmaea. Some plants are truly tiny, but others sometimes look like small G.aurea. Or maybe there is some hybridization going on in the field....

Take care,
Fernando Rivadavia

Fernando-
Have you ever seen the G. "Gigante" in the wild? It's a truely amazing plant, I wish it was introduced into cultivation.

I think you refer to the one thus labelled on my website? This is what has been going around CP collections as G.violacea "giant" or G.sp."giant violacea". It's really easy to grow, probably the easiest of all.

Take Care
Fernando Rivadavia

auctually, i got it from bob Z's site

heres the pic

Gigante_Itacambira_07_1999__2.jpg

that's either a really small hand, or a really big Genlisea! i'll betting on the latter.

Thats a nice pic!
smile.gif
They appear to be growing as aquatics/semi-aquatics.
I didnt think that Genlisea violacea was a semi-aquatic/aquatic.................ppl told me it wasnt.
confused.gif

Dino
laugh.gif

Hi guys,

I guarantee it's not a small hand, but a big Genlisea. I should know since it's my own hand, hahaha! Just for reference, I just measured my index finger and it's 8cm long from the palm of my hand. So those rosettes were 4-5cm across.

As for Dino's question, yes this plant was growing as an affixed aquatic, in a very wet seepage area among grasses, with the leaves submerged. The soil was black and peaty with some sand.

You are right in saying that G.violacea does not usually grow as a semi-aquatic, this is one of the reasons why I believe the plant in the picture above represents a different species. G.violacea "giant" or G.sp."giant violacea" usually grows in perennially wet habitats and is a perennial itself, while G.violacea usually grows in habitats that are wet only during the rainy season and are themselves anuals (in the wild, not in cultivation).

Take care,
Fernando Rivadavia

P.S. What's Bob Z's website? I want to check it out. Let's hope there's mention as to the authors of the pictures there... ;)

do you think the plant in the photo will be introduced into cultivation anytime soon?

here is bob's site, it's the CP photo finder lol.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

JustLikeAPill wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]auctually, i got it from bob Z's site
The photo that you posted is on Fernando's site. All you found on my site is a link to Fernando's photo. It is usually not good form to post an image from another person's site on the forum -- a link perhaps, but not the image.

Hi guys,

This plant ***IS*** in cultivation, it's what people call G.violacea "giant" or G.sp."giant violacea".

Fernando Rivadavia

ohhh ok Bob, sorry, didn't know! it'll be links only from me from now on.

fernando- really? i've never seen a G. violacea "giant" that's that giant before! it's truely a fabulous monster! is the secret to getting it that large growing it as a semi aquatic as in the pic? i hope mine gets that large someday.

I don't know what the secret is to get it tha big, but in general plants that are grown as semi-aquatics are bigger (at least Utrics, Drosera & Genlisea). The problem is keeping the water from becoming warm & stagnant, or else they rot.

Anyways, that picture was taken in the wild, at Itacambira. They were in general large of course, but I obviously searched for a relatively large plant for that photograph.

Take Care,
Fernando Rivadavia

i theink they are larger so they can extract more co2 from the water.

Back