What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower pic...........

here is a pic of my U. lividas flower, this thing has been in bloom since January. there is actually some lavander in the flower but the flash washed out what little there is.

Livida Flower

Rattler

Yup, that's the typical form. With better light the lower lip gets a nice even lavender. With even better light there is actually an greenish eye in the midst of that lavender lip, but it rarely appears on my flowers.

I cant see the photo.
smile_h_32.gif
confused.gif

Cool! I was given a clump of livida in February and had it inside for months. It didn't get larger nor did it die. In response to someone who was looking for Utrics I sent the 'lion's share" of my seemingly useless clump to that individual. It has been outside for the last month and is now spreading, far beyond what I had originally. Unlike the sandersonii and bisquamata, which are like weeds and flowering, this species is yet to flower. What conditions have brought your success?

waaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!
smile_h_32.gif
I still cant see the photo!!
smile_h_32.gif
confused.gif
*Sniff, sniff*
confused.gif

i dont do anything special. peat based mix, lots of light, constantly wet with a fluctuating water level from soil level to about 1/4 inch in the tray. i fill it up and let it evaporate down. there is a bunch of moss growing with the livida but it doesnt seem to mind. whenever i take a chunk out for trade i was filling in with peat but now am trying some LFS to see if it likes it better. its down to just a few blooms but in my 3.5 inch pot i think ther was 50 or more open blooms at one time 2 or 3 months ago. i think its about bloomed out for now and i have been cutting off any new flower spikes so it puts it energy into spreading and not flowering.

Sheridan S.

Does it mind the occasional being under water? We have had ~10" rain in the past week. They get a southern exposure and the water levels DO fluctuate according to the weather. They have very definitely spread since moving them outside, from the window sill. Unlike the sandersonii and bisquamata I have, which doesn't seem to care where they are, these have noticeable responded to being outside. Perhaps there is time left for a floral show. Still also waiting for the sandersonii (blue) to flower.

ive never actually flooded mine, so im not sure.

Rattler

Yeah, well, these things happen on occasion. Maybe the plants will be forgiving.

i believe some have told me they flood theirs. my tray wont let me quite do it so i havent. just below soil level is as high as i can maintain the water level.

Rattler

That's encouraging! Part of the, "vary the water level" and mimic the natural habitat I suppose.

Back