What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i just recieved a package from.....well a friend up north..... lets call him "Tim"
smile_m_32.gif
anyways my Utric collection just doubled in size. there were 10 Utrics in the package and ive only even heard of four of them and i need help. normally i would do research myself first BUT im leaving for Minneapolis at midnite and im trying to get a newspaper ready for print here at work so im a lil short on time. i basically need to know if i can just throw these in some rinsed, fluffed peat in 4-packs(like you buy bedding plants in) and set them in a tray of water for the weekend. the species are as follows:

odorata
asplundii
prehensilis
graminifolia
amethystina
filliformis
nova-zealandiae
welwitschii
aureomaculata

the aspundii looks like it may like pure LFS but im not sure the others look like they have been growing in a peat/sand mix but i dont have any sand at the moment. so will fluffed peat work for 4 or 5 days until i get back or what?

Rattler

In a nut shell, yes the fluffed peat will be fine for over the weekend for all of them. In the long run you probably want to go peat:sand for everything except the asplundii which needs a lighter mix, perlite:LFS or orchid bark:LFS works well though you can get all complicated if you really want.

Oh and FYI, the filiformis is a Genlisea not a Utric
smile.gif
Just in case you did not know.

Hope this hepls and feel free to drop me a line if you need more assistance

lol there is a G. in front of the filliformis, i should have paid more attention. thanks Pyro. i can do the LFS and orchid bark. ill look for the sand this weekend. im going to a few greenhouses and should be able to find it. one of the problems of living in the middle of nowhere, its hard to find some things.

Rattler

Glad I could help
smile.gif

prehensilis is REALLY cool! it wraps its flower stems around objects like a tendril
smile.gif

so just how rare are some of these? ive heard of nova-zealandiae, prehensilis, odorata, amethystina and graminifolia and a couple of these ones ive only even heard a referance to and have no info on. the others im completely lost on. no one has commented on the fact i said 10 species and there is only 9 listed, i forgot to mention one wasnt labeled, it was an accident ofcourse so now i got some detective work to do.

Rattler

I wouldn't call any of them particularly rare though most are not all that common. U. aureomaculata is probably the rarest of the batch.

As for you unknown, PM me a description and maybe I can help

ooo, you got your plants! I'm still waiting for mine (>_<) maybe it will show up today.... Lalalalalala

yep and in great condition. the smallest clump of plant material is a lil smaller than quarter sized. most have moss growing with them but thats pretty standard. kinda hard to weed when the moss and the plants are the same size
smile_n_32.gif

Rattler

I better get home quick...

ok i have another question. the U. asplundii has what appear to be large(1/4-1/3 inch) "tubers" on its roots, is it getting ready to go dormant? is this normal? The Savage Garden throws this one in with the epiphytes. also it says its from the tepui's. do this mean it needs some special care compared to like my livida, sandersonii and those? i planted it in a mix of LFS and orchid bark. everything else went into pure rinsed and fluffed peat for now. man why do i have to leave town tonite.

Rattler

Guess what was waiting for me at home?

good for you! what species did you get?

Rattler

7 hours later......
Nooooooo!!! Mine didn't come.... I live in CA too...

The tubers are a natural part of the plant. It is where it stores water to survive the dry season. They are always there on my U. alpina so I assume this is the same for your U. asplundii. I lost my first cutting of this species, and the second is not thriving for me by any stretch. Pyro has had it in cultivation for longer than I have so his advice would be the better I think. I just haven't had mine long enough to have felt it all out, and my plant is 2 leaves less than a half inch high.

I just talked to a guy that has it growing in peat sand and has it flowering to beat the band. I am hoping to get some plants to experiment with, since this grows like a weed for him, apparently.

On the happy side, my U. quelchii is growing like mad, behaving just as I had expected it would and much like U. alpina which I have mastered very nicely.

My feeling now is that these plants want room to groove. They want to run, just as their terresterial counterparts do, and a more shallow container providing more surface seems to be what mine like. My best results are all out of their pots now, growing into adjacent media which I have kindly provided for them in the form if a net of living LFS. Man, my U. alpina IS just going crazy in the terrarium that lets it grow without encumberences like pot rims. I keep the moss happy with daily spraying. I anticipate U. quelchii is going to behave in the same way since it is putting out those feeler stolons over the pot rim.

These are all remarkable plants, and I really hope to master them and get them sucurely into lots of collections. Utricularia will never be for the common CPer's I think, but to me they will always be the most personable of all the CP's. They are all so distinct!

Rattler you just need to relax about these plants. That was one of the things ATim taught me. There is no need for worry, fancy mixes, volumes of light....none of it really makes all that much difference. I have dried many species out BONE DRY and back they come when conditions improve. You can't drown them. Sand, peat, perlite....whatever suits you they will do fine in. Grow them in water and they are pretty happy too. I just use clean peat. I fluff it up between my fingers. Works for 90% of them just fine.

Remember that division is important to good growth and health. In many species, growth becomes exponential after the patch is divided. I am none too gentle about it either, since my nose tells me something is happening that tells the plant to get growing once it is torn up, so I have been trying to rip the stolons, muahahaha. Call me crazy.

If you have U. aueromaculata, you have a rare Utricularia. For me this one is a slow and sparse grower. Mine is responding to warmth, dim light and regular showers of pure water. Mine likes to run, and I divide it even if it isn't densely filling the pot annually at least. Tim flowered this one. I haven't had a chasmogamous flower yet, just the cleistogamous ones, but there should be seed for a friend from that!

Once a month I visit the local U. macrorhiza population and I gather a couple of jugs of water, very microbe rich. I water the plants with this water at least monthly during the warm months and add it to the water trays. This is the only food my plants have, and nutrition is probably always a good plan with CP.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ July 21 2004,10:10)]good for you! what species did you get?

Rattler
I received: alpina, nephrophylla, juncea, delicatula, paulinae, tridentata, pubescens, and pusilla. Between Tim and Cool85, in the past couple weeks, my Utric collection has swelled to ~20. I have a ton of reading to do a some questions...
smile.gif

Well Tamlin, thanks for the vote of confidence on asplundii. Yes indeed this plant always has tubers present, I find all the Orchidioides group do. I personally believe this trai has to do with their ability to grow as epiphytes but do take note that while D'Amato calls them epiphytes in reality none of the plants in the Orchidioides section is an obligate epiphyte and more often than not in the wild they will be growing as terrestrials. In cultivation they seem to respond better to an epiphyte based treatment but I believe this is because in nature their environment is not prone to the pure, waterlogged conditions that we associate with the "real" terrestrials. The terrestrial conditions that the Orchidioides experience is probably more akin to a normal house plant watering cycle, i.e. the soil dries out before getting a quick drench.

I grow all my Orchidioides plants in LFS:live sphag overlaying a orchid bark:LFS mix. I top water about once every 7-10 days or when the live sphag looks like it needs it. My plants respond really well to this treatment and I have been successful getting single leaf with minimal stolon cuttings going with little effort in under this same treatment

I received mine yesterday. Not knowing really what to do with them I planted then in a peat/sand mix. What I'm wondering about is if I'm using this mix which is relatively sterile and I'm watering with rain water or deionized water, Is that little plug of soil that comes with them going to be enough to provide microbes for them to munch on Will that be enough to colonize the containers I’ve put them in?

If not, is there a way to collect more? Can I go soak some soil from an unfertilized area in rainwater and strain the soil out of it and water them with that?

Thanks
Dan

thanks for your input Tamlin. they seem to be a plant ideally suited to me. i tend to get busy now and then and they dont seem to mind a lil bit of neglect. infact going by some of the disscutions ive followed on here it kicks some into a flowering cycle. as to the U. aueromaculata, thanks for your notes on it. i couldnt sleep before i left for Minneapolis(im at my fiancees' sisters hotel room for tonite, long story) and i looked up the others using Tim's website and it is the only one i couldnt find anything at all on. Jim i am now up to 18 Utrics with a couple more to be shipped to me next week after im back home. i love the lil things.

Rattler

regarding the watering with "soil water" my instincts go against the idea. It would be better to find a pond where there are numerous frogs. Frogs require a pristine water source to thrive, and that would be my choice. Remember, the nutrition from prey is only a help to them, not a necessity. Like all plants, photosynthesis is the main energy provider, prey just acts like fertilizer would.

Glad to see you taking such a good interest in this genus Rattler. Over time we will all work together to replicate and place these species in more happy homes, I hope. Until recently there has been very little real interst in the plants here in the US, but this seems to be changing a little in recent years.

Back