What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia alpina

Hello everybody!
smile.gif

I am getting Utricularia alpina soon, how do you grow it?
I need help in everything,I dont know how to grow it at all, I have no idea. Are one of these mixes O.K for U.alpina, and which one is best?(If any are good enought!)

1:1 spaghnum moss, peat
2:1 two parts spaghnum moss, peat
2:1 two parts peat, spaghnum moss

Thank you for all your help,
Dino
smile.gif

your second mix looks like the best you have listed. i grow mine in 2:1:1 LFS, fine grade orchid bark, perlite. i've finally managed to cool off my tank to a reasonable level to "hopefully" make everything happy, so it's mid-high 80's during the day and 74-75 at night. humidity is always between 60-65 percent during the day, at night it's around 80 percent. there's lots of air circulation in the terrarium, enough to make scapes sway. my U. alpina's only photosynthetic stolon is turning brown, but when i got it it was already yellow with a brown tip. i hope it makes it.

Its not for a terrarium, its for my bright, but sunless desk.
smile.gif

Thanks JustLikeApill.
smile.gif

Dino

I don't like the sound of any of those mixes, Starman. They might be fine, but they seem a little dense to me. I would try 1 part sphagnum to 1 part perlite, or sphagnum with a mix of perlite and fine orchid bark. However, put a layer of sphagnum about 1 cm deep on the surface.

This has been discussed a few times in the last couple weeks, you should have a look at some of the other threads.

Um, I didnt intend to talk about mixes, how do you grow this plant?
I need help in everything, not just soil problems.
I only have orchid compost which is something like 1:1 peat orchid bark, and I have peat and spaghnum too, but since the plant will arrive potted, it should be O.K for the moment.

How do you grow U.alpina? Can I put it on my sunless desk, or would my partly-sunny window be better? How much and when do I water it?
How much do I mist it? And everything else, I need help in everything.
Dino

i water mine when same as heliamphora, when the spaghnum on top is looking a little parched.

Oh right, so if there is no spaghnum on the top of the soil, I should put some there? I still need all my questions anwsered.
Dino

i guess if you want to? i'm just telling you what works for me. you asked how much your supposed to mist it-i don't mist mine, or anything else for that matter. water it untill it is thoroughly watered, i don't use the tray system for anything. i don't know if you can put it on your desk or your window, i'm thinking probably not the desk. mine's under 440 watts of 500K full spectrum light, and i'm auctually thinking of adding 2 normal output fluoro's

A part of my desk gets light, the other half doesnt.

well if you must put it on your desk, put it on the side that gets light, naturally. you might be able to grow it on your windowsill but your U. reinformis didn't so so well so i dunoo. U. alpina seems to be the easiest of the eppiphytes.

I believe U.reniformis is doing well even though its stolons are dieying! I can see a fat root coming through the bottom of the pot and I can see stems with multitude of blladers coming through the holes aswell.

Anyway, back on the topic! I need the questions anwsered, and I need as many tips as possible for it.
Dino

Dino,

As Dodec mentioned there have been numerous discussions on this plant and others related to it in the past week. Try looking those threads up first and if there is anything they do not answer for you let us know

Oh never mind............................
confused.gif

I was looking for specific instructions like in Peter'Damatos book.
Never mind...........
confused.gif

Perhaps if you would stop demanding information and read what others have already told you, you would fine what your looking for. JustLikeaPill has already given you several posts in this thread on how he grows his. Dodecathon has given you excellent advice on potting mix.

Pyro even went out of his way to do a search FOR YOU and provide links. Here is just a little of the information I found in looking at just the first two that he posted you take a look at.

You want to grow more unusual cps? Don't expect everything to be handed to you. Do your homework. And mind your manners...

From one thread about 7 down from this one you would find this from Pyro..
"Jim,

I grow all my Orchidioides in a 2-3" thick layer of LFS overlaying a substrate of orchid bark/tree fern fiber/lava rock (or clay pellets). An equal parts mix of LFS/orchid bark/perlite is also reported to work well. The important thing is to NOT grow them in media that is constantly saturated. I only water when the LFS starts to look dry, basically treating these guys like typical house plants. I would treat the tubers similarly though I would probably be inclined to go easier on the watering, never really drenching them until I saw actual growth."

The next thread which Pyro so generously did a search for and posted links to.. From Tamlin.. "The tubers are a natural part of the plant. It is where it stores water to survive the dry season. They are always there on my U. alpina so I assume this is the same for your U. asplundii. I lost my first cutting of this species, and the second is not thriving for me by any stretch. Pyro has had it in cultivation for longer than I have so his advice would be the better I think. I just haven't had mine long enough to have felt it all out, and my plant is 2 leaves less than a half inch high.

I just talked to a guy that has it growing in peat sand and has it flowering to beat the band. I am hoping to get some plants to experiment with, since this grows like a weed for him, apparently.

On the happy side, my U. quelchii is growing like mad, behaving just as I had expected it would and much like U. alpina which I have mastered very nicely.

My feeling now is that these plants want room to groove. They want to run, just as their terresterial counterparts do, and a more shallow container providing more surface seems to be what mine like. My best results are all out of their pots now, growing into adjacent media which I have kindly provided for them in the form if a net of living LFS. Man, my U. alpina IS just going crazy in the terrarium that lets it grow without encumberences like pot rims. I keep the moss happy with daily spraying. I anticipate U. quelchii is going to behave in the same way since it is putting out those feeler stolons over the pot rim.

These are all remarkable plants, and I really hope to master them and get them sucurely into lots of collections. Utricularia will never be for the common CPer's I think, but to me they will always be the most personable of all the CP's. They are all so distinct!"

Same thread from Pyro "Well Tamlin, thanks for the vote of confidence on asplundii. Yes indeed this plant always has tubers present, I find all the Orchidioides group do. I personally believe this trai has to do with their ability to grow as epiphytes but do take note that while D'Amato calls them epiphytes in reality none of the plants in the Orchidioides section is an obligate epiphyte and more often than not in the wild they will be growing as terrestrials. In cultivation they seem to respond better to an epiphyte based treatment but I believe this is because in nature their environment is not prone to the pure, waterlogged conditions that we associate with the "real" terrestrials. The terrestrial conditions that the Orchidioides experience is probably more akin to a normal house plant watering cycle, i.e. the soil dries out before getting a quick drench.

I grow all my Orchidioides plants in LFS:live sphag overlaying a orchid bark:LFS mix. I top water about once every 7-10 days or when the live sphag looks like it needs it. My plants respond really well to this treatment and I have been successful getting single leaf with minimal stolon cuttings going with little effort in under this same treatment"

its called the search function- use it. you can look it up on google, lycos, or any other search engine for that matter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Aug. 02 2004,12:03)]Perhaps if you would stop demanding information and read what others have already told you, you would fine what your looking for.  JustLikeaPill has already given you several posts in this thread on how he grows his.  Dodecathon has given you excellent advice on potting mix.

Pyro even went out of his way to do a search FOR YOU and provide links.  Here is just a little of the information I found in looking at just the first two that he posted you take a look at.

You want to grow more unusual cps?  Don't expect everything to be handed to you.  Do your homework.  And mind your manners...

From one thread about 7 down from this one you would find this from Pyro..
"Jim,

I grow all my Orchidioides in a 2-3" thick layer of LFS overlaying a substrate of orchid bark/tree fern fiber/lava rock (or clay pellets). An equal parts mix of LFS/orchid bark/perlite is also reported to work well. The important thing is to NOT grow them in media that is constantly saturated. I only water when the LFS starts to look dry, basically treating these guys like typical house plants. I would treat the tubers similarly though I would probably be inclined to go easier on the watering, never really drenching them until I saw actual growth."

The next thread which Pyro so generously did a search for and posted links to.. From Tamlin.. "The tubers are a natural part of the plant.  It is where it stores water to survive the dry season.  They are always there on my U. alpina so I assume this is the same for your U. asplundii.  I lost my first cutting of this species, and the second is not thriving for me by any stretch.  Pyro has had it in cultivation for longer than I have so his advice would be the better I think.  I just haven't had mine long enough to have felt it all out, and my plant is 2 leaves less than a half inch high.

I just talked to a guy that has it growing in peat sand and has it flowering to beat the band.  I am hoping to get some plants to experiment with, since this grows like a weed for him, apparently.

On the happy side, my U. quelchii is growing like mad, behaving just as I had expected it would and much like U. alpina which I have mastered very nicely.

My feeling now is that these plants want room to groove.  They want to run, just as their terresterial counterparts do, and a more shallow container providing more surface seems to be what mine like.  My best results are all out of their pots now, growing into adjacent media which I have kindly provided for them in the form if a net of living LFS.  Man, my U. alpina IS just going crazy in the terrarium that lets it grow without encumberences like pot rims.  I keep the moss happy with daily spraying.  I anticipate U. quelchii is going to behave in the same way since it is putting out those feeler stolons over the pot rim.

These are all remarkable plants, and I really hope to master them and get them sucurely into lots of collections.   Utricularia will never be for the common CPer's I think, but to me they will always be the most personable of all the CP's. They are all so distinct!"

Same thread from Pyro "Well Tamlin, thanks for the vote of confidence on asplundii. Yes indeed this plant always has tubers present, I find all the Orchidioides group do. I personally believe this trai has to do with their ability to grow as epiphytes but do take note that while D'Amato calls them epiphytes in reality none of the plants in the Orchidioides section is an obligate epiphyte and more often than not in the wild they will be growing as terrestrials. In cultivation they seem to respond better to an epiphyte based treatment but I believe this is because in nature their environment is not prone to the pure, waterlogged conditions that we associate with the "real" terrestrials. The terrestrial conditions that the Orchidioides experience is probably more akin to a normal house plant watering cycle, i.e. the soil dries out before getting a quick drench.

I grow all my Orchidioides plants in LFS:live sphag overlaying a orchid bark:LFS mix. I top water about once every 7-10 days or when the live sphag looks like it needs it. My plants respond really well to this treatment and I have been successful getting single leaf with minimal stolon cuttings going with little effort in under this same treatment"
Sorry.
confused.gif
But, I need information on growing them on a desk/windowsill, not a terrarium..............
Sorry.
confused.gif

Dino

Then you need to think about the primary differences between a terrarium and a windowsill and apply the knowledge others have given to your own situation. There is alot of trial and error. There are few straight answers as everyones growing situation is different. Reading books and posts are good but ultimately you need to take all the information and use it as a basis only to growing plants in your personal care.

The biggest difference between a windowsill and a terrarium is going to be humidity and moisture. SO your first concern is will the plant adapt to your humidity level in your growing situation? Maybe.. Maybe not. It depends on what your humidity levels are. It depends on how adaptable U. alpina is to different humidity levels. I would venture a guess and say that because it's leaves are fairly thick and most of the plant is below the surface that it will tolerate drier conditions than the often very high humidity in a terrarium but exactly how dry I can't say. Indirectly the lower moisture levels will cause plants to dry faster so you will need to monitor the plants potting mix and adjust your watering to compensate.

Tony

It would appear that this topic is now the umbrella for all of the most recent topics concerning Utrics in general and lpina in specific.

Gleaning and synthesizing the information seems to allow for success with some leeway for media, moisture, and container dimentions.

Currently, my most recent acquisitions (plugs) are residing in small, separate containers with hoiles for drainage. They are sitting open tray in my screened in back porch that isn't in full sun. The media is mostly peat -> sand. These conditions are designed to be transitional toward the end of taking the plugs and placing them in larger containers with more surface area for spreading. They will also be topdressed with LFS and brought to the front of the house where they will receive more direct sunlight. That's my plan. If anybody thinks that this is a set up for disaster, please let me know.

thats pretty darn close to what im doing.

Rattler

Back