What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea flowering?

Tamlin sent me this gelnisea from the NASC auction. (Thanks Tamlin!) I saw this when looking in on it today. Is it safe to assume this is flowering?

genlisea.sized.jpg

And also, Tamlin (or anyone), what kind of Genlisea do I have? I made the classic mistake of assuming I'd remember by the time I bought new tags. Of course, it's been a while, and I've forgotten. Doh!

Capslock

Yes, that appears to be a G. violacea 'Giant' flower scape to me.

Dave may be correct but G. lobata also has a hairy scape. Wait till it flowers and then give us a pic and we can tell you for sure.

Hi Caps,

I believe I sent you a cutting of G. lobata. Glad to see it is prospering for you! The original rosette I took the cutting from has since departed to meet Darwin in the big bog in the sky, and once again this shows the importance of sharing this stuff as frequently as possible. Not to worry: I have spare plants from other cuttings taken, but things can always go bad, and sometimes quickly!

Excellent. Thanks folks! I'll label it tonight, and take a picture when it opens flowers just for confirmation.

Tamlin, it's growing new leaves like crazy, though I confess I have trouble making out a rosette form, so I don't know if it's a new rosette or just more leaves on the existing one. It almost seems like utric leaves to me, unconnected with eachother, although it is still localized.

Capslock

Yeah, that sounds like lobata to me

Cool thing about Genlisea is that the leaves although thin little things do strike the same as the Mexican Pinguicula. Considering the prices I see for these plants (Like 25.00 Euro's) I would say the time has come for an all out propagation and sharing blitz for these babies!

Cap's, you just let me know when you are ready for some other species. That will probably be about 3 seconds after the flowers on G. lobata open for you, hee hee.

Update, it's opened the first flower! Woohoo!

genlisea2.sized.jpg

Capslock

Another update. Growing great!

genlisea3.sized.jpg

Capslock

Pretty flower! What makes a Utric a Utric and a Genlisea a Genlisea? That should probably be a new topic, right?

the stolons... lol

Don`t Genlisea produce stolons as well? I know they don`t produce bladders though.

i meant that the stolons look and work different lol.

Well the differences are many, but the main one is Genlisea species produce corkscrew type traps vs the bladder traps found in Utricularia. I actually find more affinities between Genlisea and Pinguicula than I do with Utricularia.

There flowers sure are Pingish!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 29 2004,6:20)]Pretty flower! What makes a Utric a Utric and a Genlisea a Genlisea? That should probably be a new topic, right?
The anwser is very simple. Genlisea form rossetes, while bladderworts just make a clumps of leaves all over the place.
Genlisea flowers are also different in structure. Genlisea also have proper rots which look like corcscrews--these are thier traps. They have no bladders.

I hope this has anwsered your question!
smile_m_32.gif

Dino
cool.gif

I like the flowers.
Looks like my Genlisea is starting a flower stalk, I can not wait.

I do not think the Savage Garden refers to this. Do they self seed, or is a tiny paint brush in order?

I think they need polination but I`m not 100%

Back