What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A couple....hundred questions

Chlorine? Where would Chlorine come from?

No,its not you have to evaporate the water in Summer to flower U.gibba, otherwise it will just float, but it wont flower.

And my posting isnt inacurate, either. I have learned it off somebody who has been growing for a lot longer then you, JustLikeApill.

Read this thread:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum....start=0

Scroll down untill you find U.gibba.

Is that peat I see in the bottom of the container?
Is the water evaporated?
Are those flowers I see when the water is evaporated in Summer?
So please dont tell me Im wrong, I know what Im talking about.
PM that person if you still dont believe me.
Dino
cool.gif

P.S
No hard feelings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ Aug. 27 2004,5:10)]Read this thread:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum....start=0

Scroll down untill you find U.gibba.

Is that peat I see in the bottom of the container?
Is the water evaporated?
Are those flowers I see when the water is evaporated in Summer?
So please dont tell me Im wrong, I know what Im talking about.
PM that person if you still dont believe me.
Dino
cool.gif

P.S
No hard feelings.
Did i say no peat? no i said you should use it.

does all the water evaporate in the wild? aren't we supposed to be copying the natural environment? no and yes
if you let "all the water" evaporate, there would be dead utrics.
Pm. me if you want, i know what i'm talking about.
so please research in several places before you post.

P.S. No hard feelings
smile.gif

If the peat stays wet, they are O.K, if it doesnt dry out, U.gibba wont flower(Im not talking about other species) I have seen pictures of U.gibba in the wild when it is flowering, and there is always little or no water, I have never seen one flowering when there is lots of water around it.
Why dont you PM Rob-Rah and ask him?
Look on CPUK, there have been pictures posted of U.gibba with NO water at all, but the plant was resting on wet peat. I do know what Im talking about in this one. If the peat is WET=live Utrics. If the peat is DRY=dead Utrics.
All the water evaporates in the wild, and U.gibba turns into a bog plant for the summer, if this doesnt happen, it doesnt flower.

P.S
No hard feelings.

O.K, so why isnt mine flowering? Its Summer, I kept topping up the water. Summer is its flowering time, so why isnt it flowering?
Because the water needs to evaporate for them to flower.

sometimes plants are so stuburn to do anyting...

Yes, and sometimes it is easy to generalize from a few specifics!

I have grown U. gibba both ways, and mine flowered under both conditions, This may have been an exception to the rule but there are many such exceptions in the CP universe which is why it is best to keep an open mind as to the possibilities and to experiment.

I'll wade in as that was my posting being linked to above.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]O.K, so why isnt mine flowering? Its Summer, I kept topping up the water. Summer is its flowering time, so why isnt it flowering?
Because the water needs to evaporate for them to flower.

U. gibba (as we seem to be concentrating on that species) is also reluctant to flower unless it has formed quite a dense mat of growth. A young comparatively sparse plant wil be unlikely to flower if given the water evaporation treatment.

My suggested growing method is based on what I do, what I have seen from plants growing in the wild, and my interpretation of the function of the plants morphology (which I explained a little in the algae/gibba thread here on PFT). It also appears to fairly foolproof, which is why I peddle it so much!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have grown U. gibba both ways, and mine flowered under both conditions

But I'll bet that you had a healthy and dense wad of growth in the floating flowerer? The bits of plant at the middle/top of a dense wadge of floating stolons would find themselves in similar conditions to a plant left in/on a sludgy substrate.

Other utrics may want completely different circumstances. Plants like U. inflata have clearly adapted themselves for flowering in deep water. And I have seen plants of U. intermedia (not a certain ID, but probable) in the wild in places that do dry out in the summer, and the plant retained moisture amongst its leaves a little like seaweed. However it wasn't in flower becuase of this!

As Tamlin indicates, there is no rule, just a set of guides and experiments. A plant so finely adapted that it specifically requires x, y and z, but not a, b and c is unlikely to do very well in the field. They are living things like people. Sometimes things are right and sometimes they are wrong, but you can't duplicate any situation so perfectly to reproduce the rightness or wrongness exactly. If growing CPs was as simple as cooking a microwave-meal then we would all just buy the instruction manual then sit back and do something else with our lives (like growing orchids and proteas!
smile_n_32.gif
)

Cheers.

Rob.

You're correct Rob, I had a great whopping mat of U. gibba when it flowered. A pity it didn't survive that winter. Live and learn I guess.

the greats have spoken! that settles it. it can be grown the way i described.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 27 2004,5:42)]the greats have spoken! that settles it. it can be grown the way i described.
And it can be grown the way I described aswell, so take it back when you said I was talking rubbish.

I dunno 'bout U. Gibba but I gotta get my hands on a U. bisquamata 'Bettys Bay'. That plant ya have Rob is awsome!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Grim @ Sep. 04 2004,9:25)]I dunno 'bout U. Gibba but I gotta get my hands on a U. bisquamata 'Bettys Bay'. That plant ya have Rob is awsome!
Thats the plant I have too.
smile.gif
But, you could have the typical one, U.bisquamata and U.bisquamata bettys bay often get confused with each other, but U.bisquamata bettys bay has larger flowers.

U. gibba, at least from the pictures I've seen, all look really nasty, except when thier in the wild, I think I'm gonna let 'em stay over there
biggrin.gif

heres what I'm talking 'bout, Click here

Wow I want a U. Gibba really bad now. I wish it had cooler flowers though. Yellow is too dull don't ya think?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Sep. 05 2004,12:34)]Wow I want a U. Gibba really bad now. I wish it had cooler flowers though. Yellow is too dull don't ya think?
You'd be surprised
smile.gif
It's kind of a vibrant yellow...

Grim, those look like subulata flowers instead of gibba
smile_m_32.gif

They just look like little blobs of yellow on a computor screen to me.

Back