What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G. filliformis questions................

a member saw my growlist and asked if i had some availible. i told him i wasnt sure and would check when i got home. well now im home and checked and it doesnt look to good. its in amoungst 15 or so Utrics, all but one or 2 are doing fine and spreading like mad. its growing in peat and its pot is sitting in about 1/3 inch of water. they are all in a 5 1/2 gal tank being lit by a 100 watt compact flourecent. the tank is abou 85% covered with a opening for air circulation. it is recieving normal house hold temps(70-75 degrees). any ideas?

Rattler

G. filiformis can be a tempermental punk in my experience. I actually have found it grows best in pots that have been established for a long time. Right now my best growing one (and that isn't saying much) is in a peat:sand mix top dressed with live sphag. The pot is 2 years old and used to house a D. spatulata. The ones at ABG do really well grown in net potsin deep trays and recieving constant misting but that is difficult to simulate without a greenhouse type set up.

darn it the only truely "established" pot i have is a pot of livida so that wont work. ill see what i can change tonite when i can get back home. this is my only Genlisea at the moment and was hoping it would do well.

Rattler

I'll help you rattler! Just send it to me, I have lots of established pots
smile_n_32.gif

whats an "established" pot?

established basically eans its either been used for growing a plant for an extended time. prolly 6 months to a year. i guess the "micro enviroment" of the pot has more or less stablized. think of an established fish tank versus a newly made one, chemicals and bacteria and stuff has allowed to balance out. i think Tamlin said he sets pots of peat outside for a year and than plants in them for some species. this would do basically the same thing.

Rattler

He does that to allow the rain to leach the soil though.

ooooh so that's what it means. good ananology with the aquarium ^_^

well ive transplanted it into coconut fiber witha top dressing of chilien LFS. i think part of my problem is my peat. this last bale has been very inconsistant. some is really good. some turns to a sludge when kept constantly wet. the roots look good so it may survive yet.

Rattler

Peat quality varies widely, which is why I go with the leaching by rains. Making pots up in advance is very good prorocol: if there are going to be moss and algae issues they become evident BEFORE you plant. I do rinse everything (twice) before I make up the pots. Thanks for reminding me, I need to make up some 50 pots to get ready for the winter. It is no fun trying to rinse peat when the water is just above freezing, and I will need a supply for the gemmae season this fall/winter. MAking up the pots now means they will have time to leach in the rain until it freezes out.

i wish i could do that here but its quite windy an average of 4 or 5 days of every week and we get little rain. im hoping a combination coconut fiber and LFS will be a decent substitute for most species. its a lil coarser but not much. maybe add peat in some cases if the plants need a higher ph. my main problem is ill use about enough for about 2 or 3 4-packs. one cell will be fine but the one next to it turns to sludge. luckly its only happened about 3 times. fortunatly, at least till this G. filliformis, its been a really common species and nothing to bad has happened. but now i have a picky species and it happens to be a cell that turned to sludge. oh well. not much i can do about it now. hopefully this coconut fiber solves most problems.

Rattler

Back