What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. sandersonii 'blue'

can i keep U. sandersonii 'blue' with the roots in distilled water with some little fish? it would look pritty cool, but if not, how should i plant and take good care of them..

also..perlite or sand..and whats the name of the sand that your soposed to use?

I dont think so, its not an aquatic, its a terrestrial so you cant. You can with U.gibba though.

Use sand blasting sand a good mix is 50\50 peat\sand. Let the plants go from flooded-moist-flooded and so on. Keep in partial sun or under flourescent light.

Just an FYI, distilled water will kill fish..

Yeah! Its to unstable, the fish need minerals in the water to buffer it... some more than others.... distilled water is way to pure

what happens is that distilled water which lacks all minerals will pull mineras such as calcium out of the fishes body till both the fish and the water have equal levels of calcium and such. i forget the term, i dont think osmosis is quite right but its based on that principle. note this doesnt happen in a few minutes or even a few hours. it takes awhile. i always use distilled or RO water to fill my tanks but there is always some old water plus i leave some old snail shells in there that will disolve slowly adding minerals to the water.

Rattler

the fish would be in a hypotonic solution and it would experience cell lysis.

I would imagine fish like mollys would nibble at them.

depends on the fish. my goldfish didn't it the u. gibba in his bowl (unfortunatelly!)

Back