What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bladderwort id's!

hi
smile.gif

I don't know what these bladderwort is. I live in NC (wake county).
it  grows (in the wild) all tangled up like in the picture. it floats to the top of the lake and in the middle it's all dead.it also grows FAST. The one in the picture is inside a fish bowl. it looks pretty cool. I don't know about the flowers because it hasn't given any flowers while I've had it.
GRRR! because I can't post pics right now I'll just give you the site:
http://groups.msn.com/safesafething/picspics.msnw?Page=1
the first 5 pics of the utrics are of the same plant. it's in a fish bowl all tangled up, a single strand in a container, and under the microscope.
the last pics are of the second utric. it grows slower, and has slightly bigger bladders. It sort of "anchors" it'self to the bottom and from what I saw doesn't entangle itself like the first one. sorry, no flowers either.
any ideas?
PS. if you need any more pics of any angle, just tell me.

I'll go out on the taxonomic limb and say Utricularia gibba. Beautiful photos too! Maybe someone with a copy of Taylor can confirm my opinion?

Looks like love birds to me!
smile_m_32.gif

(and a guineapig)
I guess I'll have to wait till (or IF!) they flower to figure out for sure.

Seriously, Tamlin mentioned the most common of aquatic Utrics, but there are others. RubraRubra has others. He may be able to identify them.

Id say its definetly U.gibba, I have one, it has no flowers and it looks EXACTLY the same as your plant.
Dino
cool.gif

ok then, there it's settled... I'll call it U. gibba unless proven it's not.

Back