What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia capilliflora

Yves-Andre Utz kindly sent me hard-copy photos of Utricularia capilliflora. These are the only photos of this species that I have ever seen.
capilliflora1sm.jpg

capilliflora2sm.jpg

Oh my!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Now there's an Utricularia I wouldn't mind growing for flowers!

Awsome stuff.. I am working hard on these guys and related species also. Hoping to get some seed to germinate one of these days.

Tony

WOW absolutly stunning. i need one. do you have any info whatso ever on their care?

If you can't see the photos, you can always right click the little picture icon and go to properties and copy the url and paste it on the url or if you have firefox you can use right click and click copy image location and paste it. And that does like a nice plant, are those fully developed flowers?

what no extra info?!?!?!?! you post such an excellent pic and no extra info on care ect. your cruel..............very cruel
smile_m_32.gif

::collapse::... huh? what happened? ::looks at screen::... ::collapses again::

Rattler, here is your care (habitat) info:

U. capilliflora is from the northern territory of Australia, it is found growing in damp sand at the edge of streams and marshes in open vegitation. generally found at low alltitude and it flowers april and may....

Reminds me of U. dunlopii.....probably an annual species. Very nice to see the photo!

Hey folks.

An interesting note about this species, from Taylor's book. There are four utric species that share a similar flower form (U. antennifera, dunlopii, capiliflora and dunstaniae, I think - excuse any spelling errors, I don't have the book handy.)

However; in two species the appendages extend from the upper corolla lobe, while in the other two, they extend from the lower corrola lobe. This indicated two completely different evolutionary paths to arrive at a very similar and seemingly very unlikely form. There must be a pollinator in the neighborhood with a very strong and particular attraction to that flower shape.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting.

U. capilliflora may be endangered not sure. Llyod's book has botanical drawings of it. I know U. dun.... is endangered with only up to 50 plants at one of the 4 sites.

Back