What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric identity

I grow my terrestrial utrics in two shallow containers. I have approxiamtly 20 species, or I am supposed to. Only two have flowered (since I got them 2 months ago). One is a U. livida color varient and the other is a U. snadersonii. The U. sandersonii turned out to be a U. livida color varient (which is white, I think). Is there any web site that has pictures of Utrics leaves? And flowers or both?
Tre

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

is your best bet i would say. livida and sandersoni's lolons are obviously different and there flowers are far from being similar. not sure what exactly your looking for

I searched Bob Z's site and found most of the utrics. Which are:(? indicates the best guess)
U. warbuggii
U. pralonga?
U. tricolor
U. prehensilis
U. dichotoma
U. tridenta
U. cornuta
U. subulata
U. monthos
U. calcifida 'Yog sothog'
U. longifolia
5 unknowns
I might have
U. sandersonii
and either U. livida South Africa since the flower was the same but white. or U. laterifolia depending if U. laterifolia can have a white flower.

i have a good portion of that list. some of thes such as calcifida, longifoila, and livida lolons look NOTHING like each other. tricolor is difficult to flower so thats prolly not one. livida and sandersoniis flowers look NOTHING alike(i have both flowering now), a 4 year old can tell the flowers apart. im still not clear as to what exactly you are looking for???

Does anyone know if U. laterifolia can have all white flowers? If so I will have idenified everything on my list except 5 species which I will have to wait until they flower.

how did you identify them? lolon shape is a poor way of doing it as ALOT of species are similar to others. a combination flowers, lolons and trap shape and a copy of Taylors is the only real way. also how did you get so many Utrics without tags? if you identified by your tricolor by flowers PLEASE tell us how you are growing it as it is quite difficult to flower.

btw, lividas flowers are about 1/4 inch wide at the widest part of the lower lip. my laterifloras flowers are about 1/3 the size of lividas. lateriflora also normaly flowers only half way up the shoot. livida will commonly have flowers at the top of the shoot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Dec. 20 2004,12:28)]Does anyone know if U. laterifolia can have all white flowers?
Taylor (page 180) says:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Corolla ... pale lilac to mauve or violet with a white or yellow spot at the base of the lower lip ...

i need to find a copy of that book
smile_n_32.gif

Okay it is livida then.
Well they were labeled but the person I got most of them from put them in the wrong bags. I used a combo of pictures and descriptions to idenify the plants.
U. tricolor has flowered once for me right after I got it it grew the stalk and everything. I have put all the Utrics in 1-1.5 inch deep undrained containers. They sit in an East Facing window and so get about 3-5 hours of direct sunlight. Every day I flood the containers so that 8 hours later the water level is 2 mm above the surface and by the next day dissapated. I do not know if that helps you or not.
Tre

You can buy Taylor's monograph on Utricularia from the Kew Gardens book shop. I got a copy for Christams.
smile_n_32.gif

My wife tells me the prices are good but the shipping is outragous. However, it only took three days for it to get from England to Michigan.

Glenn

ouch.....better start saving my change......ill have to get it sometime this summer. anyone else have a source for the book?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 30 2004,9:24)]anyone else have a source for the book?
After years of procrastination, in November I broke down and ordered Taylor's monograph from Kewbooks
http://www.kewbooks.com/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=11

At that time, with the US exchange rate, it cost me $76.33 plus $17.60 shipping (total $93.93). I expected a long wait, but the package arrived from the UK to California in 3 days!

Back