What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. reniformis questions

what conditions does this plant like? its the only Utric i have that doesnt seem to like its current growing conditions. the edges of the lolons keep turning yellow. my first thought is is wants higher humidity since it is a taller growing species its lolons are well above the localized high humidity of the soil surface and up in the 40% humidity air. does it like warm conditions? if it does i can just throw the pot into my lowland tank which will give it higher humidity. if this wont work im going to have to rig up something else. any thoughts? how is everyone growing theirs? mine has lolons 1/2-3/4 of an inch across on 3 inch tall stalks at the moment and is in LFS.

I can only describe how I have been growing it for the past 3 years. It is in an 8-inch plastic pot growing in about half sphagnum peat/half perlite sitting in a tray with about 1 inch of water. I periodically water from the top. It is in my unheated greenhouse where in summer the night temp gets into the low 50s F and high into the 90s. In winter, the low temp is in the 30s and high temp into the 60s. So far, it has survived numerous molestations of unpotting to take divisions. Whether these are ideal conditions, I can not guess. It has survived so far, but not flowered.

well i guess ill put it in with the lowland neps for awhile, keep a close eye on it and see if it improves.

Mine is growing great and getting very large (will photograph is requested) and gets highland conditions. Simply a mix of peat and sand in a small amount of tray water with high humidity and misting. Temp range from 45-50F at night and up to 75-80F in the day.

This species does appreciate a high humidity environment with highland conditions.

Mine is on the shelft at the moment----a highland enviroment with high-ish humidity.
I got it this year and it didnt settle down properly, but after dormacy it should be growing great.

Somewhere in previous posts (and CP journal articles) I described how this species is found in all sorts of habitats here in Brazil. So it's hard to say what the species as a whole likes.... it would depend on where your clone came from. Since this is very difficult to know, it's easier to find out from the person who sent it to you what conditions it grew well in.

Good luck,
Fernando Rivadavia

Back