What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C02!

I found these little c02 fizz tablets for aquatic plants. I think that these are A LOT easier than the yeast or garbage bag! LOL

I am going to use it on my aldrovanda tank and utrics!
smile.gif

I'm into paintball and we use CO2 for the guns and I mentioned the sport to my grandmother and she gave me a big CO2 tank she and my grandfather had to use in a beer chiller back at there old house, my grandfather has been dead for quite a long time now and she had no use for it so she gave it to me. There is some CO2 left in the tank so I thought I'd use it in the greenhouse, spray a little in it every day and note any changes in growth.

What is the chemical composition of the CO2 pills? There is a high probability of there being undesirable by-products from the reaction to create CO2...

hmm...It doesn't say anything, but my guess is 1 carbobn atom: 2 oxygen atoms!
smile_n_32.gif

they are specially designed for aquarium plants, so it can't be harmful

The CO2 fizz tabs are considered by a lot of aquarists to be mostly worthless. You might want to look into Flourish Excel.

Start a yeast culture. Use it a few days for your aldrovanda. Brew beer. Repeat.

I am going to have to get me one of those plants!
smile_n_32.gif

Glenn

nepenthes gracilis, I think I can help you with your CO2 tank...I was very much into growing aquatic plants in a large aquarium a while back and I bought a CO2 tank and a CO2 reactor to inject the CO2 into the water.  This isn't as complicated and expensive as it sounds!  The CO2 tank is most of the cost so since you already have one, you are set.  Here's what I would do if I were you...go to a specialty aquarium shop and purchase a CO2 reactor; they are under $30 and it is basically a hollow clear plastic cylinder with a series of coils inside; the CO2 is fed into the tube, and a small and cheap water pump (under $15) forces a stream of water over a CO2 bubble (about 1 bubble every 3-7 seconds is all you need) dispersing the CO2 in the water.  I had a setup like this for 3 years and the tank never needed refilling.  The results were astounding; the plants grow like they are on steroids.   If you can't locate a CO2 reactor, email me and I will hook you up with the supplier I use here in San Diego and they can ship you one.  
Ludwig

p.s. I just found a link for the one I am using:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....ry=3212

Back