What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adquatic utrics

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
How do I kill alge without killing my adquatic Utrics?

I have U. gibba and U. inflata

I have a couple of methods that have been sucessful for me.

1) Change the water. Gently hold the Utric in the container while you pour the water away, then gently pour in new water.

2)Get a piece of kitchen papaer or toilet roll, and run it along the surface of the water.
It should take up the algea.
If you want to get somewhat more algea off, pour water on the water in the tank to loosen it up before you take it up with paper.

Can you put an algae-eating fish in with them, such as an otocinclus cat or a plecostomus or Chinese algae eater - in addition to Dino's suggestions?

Scott,
I can not believe that you mentioned a Chinese algae eater. They hardly eat any algae when they are small and when they grow up they do not touch the stuff.

Algae grows when there is excess nutrients in the water. You can add some other plants such as water lettuce, hornwort, anything to take the extra nutrients out of the water.
Changing water frequently also helps.

Maybe you can try Ghost Shrimp, Cherry Shrimp, or Amano Shrimp. These are easier ones to find that eat algae. There are others but rarely see them in stores.

daphnia, snails and ostrocods from any lake/pond work wonders too.

So what plants can I try besides:
Water Hycyane (well you get the idea)
water lettuce
loussestrife?
Those are invasive weeds here and I am not keen on getting a fine or going to jail.

Pond snails work well for me.

Glenn

I hear dwarf papyrus is an easy aquatic - that could help cut down on the nutrients. Maybe you could pop a cutting of some ivy in there, or grow a tomato plant.
Hehehe, I really like the shrimp idea for some reason.
~Joe

I tink I will try the miniture papyrus, I will spilt the one I have in the (Fish) pond. I am not allowed to put Utrics or any cps in there.

I have tried all of these idea and I find that under water oxygenators help alot. They are easy to get and grow well. But nothing seems to handle the dreaded carpet algae excet good old fashion water changes. When my plants are outside the algae dies off. When in for the winter I skim it off. Daphnia keep my water clear and my plants well feed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Jan. 23 2005,11:22)]Scott,
I can not believe that you mentioned a Chinese algae eater. They hardly eat any algae when they are small and when they grow up they do not touch the stuff.

Algae grows when there is excess nutrients in the water. You can add some other plants such as water lettuce, hornwort, anything to take the extra nutrients out of the water.
Changing water frequently also helps.

Maybe you can try Ghost Shrimp, Cherry Shrimp, or Amano Shrimp. These are easier ones to find that eat algae. There are others but rarely see them in stores.
They don't? I bought one for my kid's tank to keep the algae down! Must have been the snails doing all the work.

Cheers,

Joe

Back