What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Germinating g. hispidula

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Hey there, I just got some G. hispidula seeds and was wondering what I should do with them. The Savage Garden says they prefer sphagnum, peat and sand - anyone disagree? Do they need any special treatment (besides bagging for humidity?)
Thanks!
~Joe

I have found that fresh seed (straight from the seed pod) is very easy to germinate. I have grown it by sowing seed on the surface of straight spagnum peat, peat/sand mix, and peat/perlite mix, uncovered in my unheated greenhouse. It has also germinated equally in an undrained container with water near the surface as well as in a drained pot sitting in an inch of water. I think a key, as with Utric seed, is in the age of the seed. The fresher, the better. I have not tried it bagged or in a terrarium.

Hi,

I have no problems with germinating Genlisea seeds, as long as they are from my own plants. As Bob said the key to success is fresh seeds! I usually collect the seeds and sow them directly. This works fine. I use a mix of sand and peat, sometimes with some vermiculite and perlite. The pots are placed in terrariums during winter (the water level is half the size of the pot) and in the greenhouse during the summer.

I have not yet tried G. hispidula though but am happy to hear, that it is easy to germinate as i will have some seeds soon.

Christian

Back