What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New way to grow utricularia?

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I had made a post on here some time ago asking if anyone has tried to grow Utricularia the way Geoff Wong grew his Genlisea in the SG book. I wondered this because I wanted to see the Utricularia traps. Almost everyone said to me to grow aquatics if I wanted to see the traps.
So I decided to try this. Here is the underside of the pot I made. I used a 1 cup container for my Utricularia. Detailed direction here on making the pot:
http://elgecko.proboards28.com/index.c....3487496

133step5.jpg

Here is a shot of the setup. I have planted all my Utricularia I have this way.

133bladderwort.jpg

Traps

133bladderworttraps.jpg

I have my Genlisea in the same kind of pots. I have one which is starting to finially grow it's traps into the water below. The Utricularia traps grow into the water much faster.

Hmmm... that looks really cool, kind of makes utics more interesting to grow! I'll have to try that some day on my U. Livida!

Very cute! How are you keeping the glass/water clean? Or are they growing so fast into it that algae just hasn't had time to colonize yet?

T

Great job, Steve!

Oh I absolutely love that set up! Really really wonderful!  Thanks for posting such detailed instructions.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Tony,
Every 3 or 4 weeks I dump the water, wipe the glass, and refill.

Very cool, I think I will try it with my recently aquired Utric.

I have one question:
Do you have to keep the container away from light for the traps to form. I understand that Utrics will not make traps if the roots are exposed to light (savage Garden, page something). If this is true how do you cover the glass.

You can see a little green coloration in the stolons so they are deffinately getting light.

Out in my greenhouse the Utrics will send stolons out the bottoms of the pots. These stolons get very green from the sun and are full of traps. Periodically I go through and trim them to try and prevent them colonizing neighboring pots.

Tony

It is in direct sunlight and still grows the traps. My other Utricularia are just starting to have the stolons grow into the water, as I only tried 1 at first. I'm hoping that the others grow the traps as well.

How do I save this entire web page with all the photos and information to my hard drive?

Great that sounds like a great way to show of this plant. When trying to persuade people that they really are conivorous and how they eat, I've often got some wierd looks. I'm going to copy your idea if you dont mind.

Tony,
The stolons take grow out the bottoms of the pots that you trim, have you ever tried to place them in a pot and see if the plant will grow from that?
I'm going to try it when the glass fills up with stolons. It would be less intrusive then digging up the whole plant to send some to another CP grower.

Laura,
Not sure what browser that you use, but should be similar. Go to the top left hand corner, click File, scroll down to Save Page As, it should save all photos and info on the current viewed page to where ever to tell it to save it.

trainspotting,
No problem. If I did not want anyone else to try it, I would not have shown it.
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks. I have the web page saved.

I can't figure out what you used as the little plastic basket insert. What did you use?

I think the netting was more of a high tech approach, I just cut slats in the bottom with a dremel.

Well heres what I came up with with a gladware cup and a dremel.
635utric1-med.jpg

You can kind of see the bottom where I crudly cut the slats.
635utric2-med.jpg

I was a little ruff with the plant when I transplanted it but I understand they are pretty hardy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Feb. 06 2005,3:27)]Thanks. I have the web page saved.

I can't figure out what you used as the little plastic basket insert. What did you use?
It was a rubber-maid container.

Looks good trainspotting.

Wow, that's a neat idea.

Does anybody have more info on the bottom inserts with the holes? What are they called, and where can one find them?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Feb. 08 2005,11:00)]Wow, that's a neat idea.

Does anybody have more info on the bottom inserts with the holes? What are they called, and where can one find them?
Thanks.

If you followed the link I provided it has detailed instructions and says:
I then cut the plastic piece that is on the bottom of the container at a craft store. I do not have the package anymore. I think it was in the yarn, knitting area. Bought the large round ones and cut it to fit snug in the bottom of the container. I then used aquarium seal to make sure the plastic piece would not come out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Feb. 09 2005,12:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Feb. 08 2005,11:00)]Wow, that's a neat idea.

Does anybody have more info on the bottom inserts with the holes?  What are they called, and where can one find them?
Thanks.

If you followed the link I provided it has detailed instructions and says:
I then cut the plastic piece that is on the bottom of the container at a craft store. I do not have the package anymore. I think it was in the yarn, knitting area. Bought the large round ones and cut it to fit snug in the bottom of the container. I then used aquarium seal to make sure the plastic piece would not come out.
Yes, I saw that... but if I went to a craft store, I'd still need to know what the item is called.

I suppose I could print out a picture from the top of this post, and take it with me, and ask, "Do you have any of these? What are they called?"

It's called plastic canvas and is a common item used for needle point crafts.

Back