What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. tricolor........what a pain....

i have one of these, it was one of the first batch of CPs i got when i first started in CPs about a year ago from a member here. anyways i havent gotten it to flower, no biggy its hard to do IIRC. anyways it was growing fine in its pot and crashed. lesson: divide Utrics on regular basis.

anyways its doing fine now spread out though 3 pots, or so i thought. i found a 4th today but more on that later. anyways in one pot its in peat mix in a tall pot in a tray with my Drosera, the second is in a shallow pot of LFS in the same tray. "pot" #3 is actually a clear glass candel holder filled with LFS that gets watered when the LFS looks dry. can yah tell im trying to figure out how to get it to flower? no flowers so far but all 3 pots look fairly healthy.

now for the fourth pot of tricolor, except its not a pot of tricolor its my pot of D. rotundifolia that i pay lil attention to that is sitting in a tray in a south facing kitchen window. since this rotundifolia is one of my first Drosera that i ever recieved about a year ago, it has a very thick mat of that lil pain in the rear moss that grows everywhere. the rotundifolia doesnt seem to mind so i dont. i also though amoungst the moss was what i thought were some type of large liverwort. like i said the pot of rotundifolia rarely gets looked at a couple times a month and then its only to check to see if its alive, as far as Drosera go rotundifolia is pretty far down on my favorites list.

well these "liverworts" had me curious today at lunch so i pulled out a knife and cut one out along with a chunk of moss, low and behold these "liverworts" are actually really healthy looking U. tricolor that some how managed to take up residence in the pot and seems to be enjoying the full sun. the only way i can think of the tricolor getting in there is i THINK i recieved the two from the same person as when i repotted the tricolor months ago it had no runners coming out the drain holes. the "leaves" of my tricolor in with the Drosera are thicker and darker and last longer than the other three i have been growing. wierd since the water level is about the same in both trays. also the "roots" in the Drosera pot are thicker than in the other pots.

dang plants leave me scratching my head.............

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]can yah tell im trying to figure out how to get it to flower? no flowers so far but all 3 pots look fairly healthy.

I thought you would be able to tell me how to get this utric to flower, since I have the same exact clone you do. I have since demoted this utric to a standard 4" pot with equal parts silica sand and peat. You put a lot more effort into this plant than me, and I hope you get a nice flower one day and let us know how its done.

best of luck,

Homer

im trying, problem is its a very tollerant species so its simple to grow in lots of conditions. i suspect you may be able to grow the dang thing for a life time and never get the stupid thing to flower. i hope i get it to bloom sooner than that though
smile_n_32.gif

I had mine bloom once. Just after I got it from Doug Darninowski (Shoot how's his last name spelled?). Anyway ask him. Is the pain that it is so many pots?

no the pain is it grows wonderfully for me no matter what conditions i put it in and it doesnt show the slightest interest in flowering.

Back