What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using utrics as ground cover

I have taken to using U livida as a ground cover in my outdoor pots of Sarracenia.  It seems to retard moss and algae growth, and it holds the soil in place during heavy rains.

I'd like to use a utric for the same purpose in pots of smaller plants, like pings and sundews.

Any suggestions for utrics with sparser leaves and less frequent flowering than U livida?  I don't want the utric to hide the main plant in the pot.

Well if you have no plans for any other Utrics you can go with U. subulata...

If you prefer not to use the insidious weed the try sandersonii, parthenopipes or dichotoma.

sandersonii spreads fast, likes to grow on and in the top lil bit of the soil and is one that is easy to bloom and blooms in mass. its one Utric species where i think i have more plant mass on top of the soil than under it. it should spread and cover the soil surface before moss and such can establish if you start with a decent sized clump.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Feb. 09 2005,1:00)]sandersonii spreads fast, likes to grow on and in the top lil bit of the soil and is one that is easy to bloom and blooms in mass. its one Utric species where i think i have more plant mass on top of the soil than under it. it should spread and cover the soil surface before moss and such can establish if you start with a decent sized clump.
Is sandersonii the one that looks like "angry bunnies" in bloom? (I think Peter D'Amato made some such comment in the SG...)

lol yes and its a fitting description. anyone who is interested in Utrics usually has one. i would send yah a chunk but im already taking several pieces out of it this week. if yah dont run across one ill probably have extra in about a month.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Feb. 09 2005,1:44)]lol yes and its a fitting description. anyone who is interested in Utrics usually has one. i would send yah a chunk but im already taking several pieces out of it this week. if yah dont run across one ill probably have extra in about a month.
Isn't there a variant of it with deep blue flowers, or is my memory making stuff up?

yes there is a blue variety, as to deep blue, im not sure but can tell yah in a few days as mine is about to bloom. the blue variety doesnt send up as many flowers or flower as often though

Where could I get a chunk of any terrestrial utric besides subulata. I would like a chunk of sandersonii. I have 12 or so different species but they came mislabeled and I have to re identify them. I will try to tonight. I owuld like an easy species. Besides livida color varient (white) I have a ince or two plug of that. A rapid grower would be nice and not subulata I have that. Something that will bloom constantly or en masse.

give me a month or two and i plan to put a bunch of Utrics on the trade forum for trade or postage. i would send yah some now but i am dividing Utrics for 4 different ppl this week and its knocking back the extras i have now.

Good luck Tre. It is very hard to identify Utrics without flowers! Except for the ones with very distinct leaves, traps, tubers, etc. Your best bet is a copy of Taylor's monograph. I have a couple of mystry plants too but have yet to even try and sort them out (no flowers). The thought of doing it makes my head spin. I just look at Taylor's monograph and say OOO...that one would sure be nice to have.
smile_m_32.gif

Glenn

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Feb. 09 2005,2:13)]I have 12 or so different species but they came mislabeled and I have to re identify them.
If you get stumped on IDs, post them in the "Identify That Plant!" forum. Can't let the Nepaholics have all the fun
smile_n_32.gif
laugh.gif

good luck on identifying with out flowers unless you have a copy of Taylors and a microscope. more effort than i would put into although i would like to get a copy of Taylors. i have an unknown from Tim Malcom, it appears identical to the nephrophylla i recieved from Tamlin but without a bloom its labeled U. ?

on sandersonii "blue", mine finally opened its flowers yesterday and i gave them a day to color up. its not a bold blue, rather a light blue background with slightly darker blue markings. i prefer the typical variety, white background with nice fairly dark purplish markings.

Sheridan, you are SO lucky to get those blue ones to bloom! I can't get mine to do. What are ya doing right?

Another fast spreader is U. bisquamata as well as livida.

lol Jim, i do nothing special. all my Utrics other than reniformis and asplundii are grown the same way, in a shallow pot, in an inch of water, under bright light in temps rainging from 65-90 degrees depending on the outside temps, how strong the sun is shining through the near by sliding glass doors and what the house thermostat is set at. i dont baby 99% of my plants in the slightest other than to maybe get them established. once they start to spread for me they "fend for themselves" so to speak. lights are on timers and i just keep them from drying out.

Back