What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is growing u. aureomaculata?

im curious as to other ppls experiances. i was told this is a fairly uncommon species in collections and personally im not quite sure why. the dang thing spreads as fast as sandersonii for me even if i have yet to get it to bloom. infact its spreading fast enough that it was placed away from my other Utrics as it grows "above" the soil like sandersonii so it likes to go into the next pot from above rather than through drain holes like other species. good light, shallow pot of peat sand and LFS in an inch of water, normal household temps and fluctuations and the thing goes nuts.

I have some.. makes me wonder if yours is correctly identified or something else got in there, perhaps before you got it. Anxious to hear when it flowers. Can you post a shot of the 'leaves'?

Tony

yeah Tony i will, leaving for an out of town weekend shortly so it will have to wait till next week. ill dig out my good lenses and do my best to get a really good macro shot. i recieved the plug from Tim Malcom last summer/fall. the "leaves" look nothing like any of my other 23 or so species. i have only seen one sorta fuzzy shot of this species "leaves" i think it was from a link on BobZ's site. they looked to be quite similar. problem is most Utric photos are of the flowers not the "leaves". anyways so far i have passed on a plug to BobZ and Copper should be recieving hers tomorrow. could you get and post a shot of yours, Tony?

Will try and get a photo. I would think though that if it came from Tim Malcom it should be properly ID'd. Maybe your just growing it better than me! hehe

Tim said not to be positive of anything sent until it blooms. but if its not aureomaculata, its not anything else im growing either. as nothing else grow like it or looks like it. i got back to town tonite after the growlights kicked off so i cant compaire the photo to my plant but it looks about right going by my memory but thats never really reliable
smile_n_32.gif

Bob, how is the plug i sent yah doing and do you think what i have slipped through the cracks at Tims and is possibly labeled wrong? how about the G. filliformis i sent? im not sure if what i have is still alive, im going to check out the pot really good tomorrow and see if i can find any leaves.

Tony here is a pic from about 6 weeks ago. its not a good close up. ill work on that tonite. dang digi cam took a dump so i have to use film which adds time onto the process.

U. aueromaculata picture

if it is that uncommon there cant be many clones floating around can there? or was this species introduced to cultivation through seed? anyone have more info on it? other than it comes from South America(IIRC?) i know minimal about it other than Fernando posted a pic of a close relitive awhile back. is that pretty much all of what Taylos says Bob? dang wedding expencese are putting aquiring that book on hold.

Here is U. aureomaculata (modified from Taylor Fig 162) that might help.
U_aureomaculata.jpg

Well I took some pics.  Note my plant is not confirmed deffinately.  Maybe sometime I will have a look at the traps.
Hard to get a good shot the 'leaves' are very small 1-2mm across

Uauromac.jpg

Tony

Look forward to your new pics Rattler. The growth habit in yours is much different than mine. It grows completely below the surface with these tiny little 'leaves' poking up here and there. Yours looks suspiciously like U. sandersonii, with the aerial growth habit and the density of growth.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Feb. 13 2005,10:08)]Bob, how is the plug i sent yah doing and do you think what i have slipped through the cracks at Tims and is possibly labeled wrong? how about the G. filliformis i sent? im not sure if what i have is still alive, im going to check out the pot really good tomorrow and see if i can find any leaves.
Rattler,
The aureomaculata plug that you sent to me in November is growing very slowly, but it is growing. The plant has very tiny leaves and I cannot yet determine what it might be. It is still winter in my greenhouse and many of my plants have not yet decided to start growing.

So far, I can not find any visible leaves within the G. filiformis plug that you sent.

BobZ: not seeing much of any leaves in my G. filliformis either. just leaving it be though. when i took the plug for you i saw healthy traps. Tamlin sent me a plug of U. nephrophylla that took almost a year for me to see the first "leaves"

Tony, only thing is i have both the typical form of sandesonii and the blue form. both have different lolon shape and there is a huge difference in size. my sandersonii has "leaves" 3 times the size of the aureomaculata. if it does turn out to be sandersonii that would be something as its like none i have seen. anyways ill scan the 35mm negs, upload and post the pics before i go home this evening. i wonder if Tim ever got it to actually flower?

here is a poor pic. i have good ones but cant find a website that will allow me to up load anything over a 250kb pic and then let you see it. it will let me see it when i log in but not let the general public. do you just want me to email you the pics Bob and Tony? or give me another site that will let me do it.

aureomaculata4.jpg

You can email me some photos. I can't really see alot of detail in the above photo. Except that it is very different looking growth than mine.

Tony

they are pretty big pics and if your working on dial-up they might be a pain. i had a stroke of genius last night after i left work and am working on fixing a problem now where i can post a better, smaller pic. yeah i can tell mine isnt growing like yours. i figure there is a decent chance of it not being aureomaculata but even though mine is growing like sandersonii i REALLY dont think it is do to "leaf" size and shape. may i ask where you got yours Tony? i think ill shoot Tamlin an email as i think he said at one point he recieved a plug of this plant from Tim also. see if he has any bright ideas or if he has flowered it.

it appears i have more tweaking to do. could you PM me your email addy Tony, i dont have it and cant find the actual address on your website

Well it's a cute little plant
smile.gif

Mine came from BestCP  last Fall as U. aureomaculata ?  (and some location data but I didn't write it down from the label)

Of course it's possible mine isn't correct.  I will have to do some more looking at Taylor and my plant.

Tim still have his website up? I thought he had a photo of it from his collection? Will have to check that later.

email support@exoticplantsplus.com

Back