What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which utrics are epiphytes?

i am curious as to what species are epiphytic in nature. im growing U. nephrophylla, U. asplundii, and U. reniformis as what would consider epiphytes. a layer of LFS over a layer of quick draining medium(orchid bark and perlite). basically simulates a layer of moss growing on a tree branch i think. anyways i keep the moss barly damp most of the time with occational short really wet spells and short dry spells. any other species that would grow this way? the nephrophylla and asplundii really seem to like it. the reniformis hasnt shown marked improvement i potted it like this but it hasnt went down hill really either and it hasnt been that long since being potted up.

Dont forget U. alpina! I love this utric's leaves! (leaves are the best part of utrics. duh!)

but they are not leaves they are photosynthetic stolons. Utrics do not have true leaves. i didnt forget alpina i just dont have it, so i didnt comment on it.

leaves, photosynthetic stolons
potato, potato -(hmm...does not work if you write it)
same difference

actually there is another question what exactly is the difference between a photosynthetic stolon and a leaf?

ok, the definition of "stolon" is a runner like what a strawberry produces its lil plantlets on(im assuming a spider plant is also producing stolons) or runners under ground such as what grass or Darlingtonia does. so photosynthetic stolon balically means? what? a runner that is able to use light to make energy for the plant? so the entire Utric plant is a runner? im more confused now then when i started.

Are the roots of some orchids technically roots since they are capable of light absorbtion?

Joe

good question Joe. there are several Orchids which have no leaves period. i found this old thread on here about Utric "stolons" and came with the basic conclution that the term "stolon" doesnt quite fit Utrics but its about as close as anything. so back to my original question. which species are epiphytic?

Utric "stolon" discussion from about 1 year ago

There is only one Genus of ALL cactus that have a true leaf. Pereskia, it's beleived to possibly a distant relative to Cycads.

Now, I would like to know the epiUtrics too. Sorry, Rattler.

Fernando has said that U. reniformis is almost exclusively terrestrial. Here's a recent thread that should answer your first question.

I think that 'photosynthetic stolon' refers to the fact that the surfaces which Utrics use to gather light is derived from stolon tissues flattened into the shape of a leaf, the way that the part of a flytrap that looks like the 'leaf' is actually the petiol, flattened and widened to serve the purpose of a leaf. If I remember my botany correctly, stolons were the original 'leaves' of primitive plants (or was it rhizomes? I think rhizomes lack chlorophyll by definition...) Leaves themselves are highly specialized stolons (rhizomes?) which project as one unit (the petiol) for a length and then branch into a vascular structure with a membrane across it in a more-or-less two dimensional fashion (the leafy part on most plants which have true 'leaves.') The photosynthetic stolons of Utrics are probably called that because in most plants the simple stolon tissue is not utilized as a photosynthetic resource - it's organized into the more structured form of a true leaf. I'm kind of sketchy on the details but I hope that makes sense.
~Joe

Forbes, i realize that reniformis is probably terrestrial but i was having trouble getting my large form to settle in growing it as such. so another grower suggested that i try growing it like this.

While the Orchidioides and Iperua section plants are generally refered to as "epiphytic" for the most part they all grow terrestrially as well. In fact it is more that they are able to grow epiphytically are not required to.

I grow almost all of my plants from these sections in a layer of live/LFS mix 3-5cm deep over an equal parts media of orchid bark/perlite or clay pellets/tree fern fiber. The pots are set either directly in a tray or on styrofoam blocks in a tray and top watered when the sphag looks damp but not bone dry.

Rattler, if you like I have some long long word docs typed up. I'd be happy to email them to you if you like, just shoot me a PM or email me through PFT

yah sent me the one on the Iperua section and have put the info to use but if yah have a seperate one on Orchidioides i would love to have a copy.

my nephrophylla and asplundii seem to REALLY prefer being grown like an epiphyte than as a terrestrial. i was having problems getting the large form of reniformis established as a terrestrial so i figured i would try growing it as an epiphyte. basic difference between the two methods i think is how wet the rolons are kept and how much air movement there is in the soil around the rolons. what works for one persons conditions doesnt alway work in someone elses conditions

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Feb. 22 2005,10:20)]good question Joe. there are several Orchids which have no leaves period. i found this old thread on here about Utric "stolons" and came with the basic conclution that the term "stolon" doesnt quite fit Utrics but its about as close as anything. so back to my original question. which species are epiphytic?

Utric "stolon" discussion from about 1 year ago
Egads, I was such a newbie! Still am!

lol i found anothe interesting one from about 3 years ago, interesting read that shows just how new alot of our Utric "experts" on here are. also shows how well the trading forum has worked over the years

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....3;st=10

Pyro, I would like to read your word docs if its OK...

Chris

Back