What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

im already doing my planning for this next summer. im looking to expand my Utric collection even more, they take up much less room than Neps. i have found most of the common species that have caught my eye and will be getting more but those are fairly easy to find. i have scanned growlists of some of the Utric nuts on here who have one and havent come up with much in the way of what i dont have, next step the CPUK forums. anyways ive come up with this partial list from the link Forbes provided me on epiphytic species. i figure some probably arent in cultivation. if you can think of other rare species in cultivation that i may have luck in searching out let me know. i would also be curious to see if someone had a more or less complete list of species that are in cultivation. anyways thanks for any help you can provide.

U. buntingiana
U. campbelliana
U. endresii
U. jamesoniania
U. kumaonensis
U. mannii
U. praetermissa
U. quelchii
U. striatula
U. unifolia

well theres a good way to get depressed, look at a Aussie Utric nuts grow list ..............there has to be an easy way to get my hands on some of those right?

You've picked out some very rare and difficult to find plants there. I'd kill to get my hands on most of them. At least you have a chance though as most are grown by at least a few growers in the US. Down here in Australia most are grown by absolutely no one and importing them is impossible. My only possibility of getting my hands on any is if I am lucky enough to track seeds down.

I do have a reasonable list of other species and am always attempting to pollinate them- usually with some success. If I do manage to pollinate something that isn't on your growlist I'll keep you in mind.

Which Aussies list were you referring to?

basically i was refering to the number of Aussie Utrics that are VERY hard to find over here. actually your list is one of those i glanced over and was quite impressed. quite a variety of locale dichotomas. im begining to wonder if just taking every good sized growlist i can find to figure out which species are in cultivation is the easiest way to go. anywyas thanks for the offer on potential seeds. definatly keep me in mind.

U. buntingiana---Not currently in cultivation
U. campbelliana---Some growers in Japan and Europe, rumored to be in the US but no confirmation
U. endresii---I have this
U. jamesoniania---I have this (watch you CPN)
U. kumaonensis
U. mannii---I have spoken with 2 growers in Europe that claim to have this. Very difficult to maintain from season to season according to them
U. praetermissa---I have this and might have a few more clones soon
U. quelchii---I have this
U. striatula---I want to say I have this but don't quote me
U. unifolia---I had this once and might again shortly

All the Orchidioides are slower growers so it will be some time before I do any more dividing but I'll keep you in mind when I do.

thats more in cultivation than i thought, thanks for the info Pyro

Travis you have U. quelchii...wow....thats something to be very proud of!

Rattler,

Yeah, my goal is to get all the Orchidioides and Iperua. I am 3 away and hope to be 2 away by the end of the season. Something tells me buntingiana is going to be missing for sometime but if I can confirn the Costa Rica rumor then that might improve matters.

Dustin, I have had quelchii for a little while now. Nice plant but a bit of a pill at times. It totally went down on me and I almost had a heart attack untill I found some tubers in the pot. All up and growing now and happy as can be. Others have this plant (some closer than you think ;) ) and I think in a few years it will be much easier to get a hold of.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I think in a few years it will be much easier to get a hold of.

thats good to know. i found an aussie annual species by accident but if what Sean says is true about its close reletives producing minimal seed, i prolly wont have it for long if i get the seeds to germinate and produce blooms anyway. oh well the hunt is half the fun
smile_n_32.gif

Pyro,

I have been reading Taylor's monograph and dreaming of Orchidioides. Suck cool plants!
smile_o_32.gif

Nice collection.

Glenn

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glenn @ Feb. 28 2005,3:13)]Suck cool plants!
To each his own.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Thanks Glenn. Yes Taylor can be an adictive thing to page through. One week I got really bored and dog eared every species in there I wanted. Let's just say that the book wouldn't close properly when I was done with that LOL.

Rattler, some plants behave differently in cultivation that they do in nature so maybe your annual will turn out to grow longer. After all Taylor calls sandersonii an annual and I think most of us have pots of that that are a few years old (or older...)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Mar. 01 2005,5:25)]After all Taylor calls sandersonii an annual ...
Not correct. Taylor on p. 228 states:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Small, perennial lithophyte.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Mar. 01 2005,4:25)]Rattler, some plants behave differently in cultivation that they do in nature so maybe your annual will turn out to grow longer.
Not likely I'm afraid. This species like its close relatives U. violacea and U. inaequalis only produce 'leaves' in a rosette and do not produce running stolons.

You get many consecutive flowers from a single rosette but the plants themselves never spread.

I wonder if the leaves of the annual species might behave like Pinguicula and possibly produce planteletts. Genlisea works like this. I haven't had enough annuals to make the experiment. I've tried it with U. multifada but that was a no go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Mar. 01 2005,5:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Mar. 01 2005,5:25)]After all Taylor calls sandersonii an annual ...
Not correct. Taylor on p. 228 states:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Small, perennial lithophyte.
My mistake. But I do know he states that one of the hyper common Utrics is an annual. Maybe it was livida...??

Hey Bob,

Thanks for catching my typo but don't knock it till you ty it.
smile_n_32.gif

I've seen certain CPers snort Utric flowers up thier nose, still attached to thier stem so they came back out and off course there are the Nep nectar lickers. They will of course remain anonymous since they both post on this site.
smile_m_32.gif

Glenn

I grew U. striatula for a while, it was kind of tricky, but I did get it to flower. I got it from a grower in Hong Kong, I think. Pyro: when you say "I think" is it a pending trade, or a question of ID?

I always kind of thought that the orchidiodes and Iperua species were a little bit plain. There are plenty of much easier to grow housplants that have larger and more colourful flowers. I think that many of the smaller utrics have far more interesting and attractive flowers.

Back