What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Annual aussie species

im getting some seed of U. petertaylorii by a stroke of luck, or maybe good timing and want to know how yah get them started? ive read Tamlins posts on live LFS slurrys but does this pertain to annual Aussie species to? any help appreciated but ill wing it if i have to.

before anyone askes U. petertaylorii was described by Allen Lowrie in 2002. its an annual species from the south-west of Western Australia. and thats all the info i can find.

its not on BobZ's photo finder or his wanted pic list either.............hmmmmmm interesting. i also just found out its from the dichotoma complex

You are correct. I did not have it listed. If you Google "petertaylorii" there are 5 results, but very little information. The ICPS Database lists U. petertaylorii. It is not in Taylor's monograph, having been described in Nuytsia in 2002 (after Taylor was published).

Does anyone have additional information on this new species?

this is what i was given by a grower over in Germany, probly a translation of the German page i found but cant read.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's a plant from the U.dichotoma-complex, its closest relatives seem to be U.inaequalis and U.violacea. It was described by Allen Lowrie in Nuytsia 14 (3) in 2002 (that's the reference you've cited) which is AFAIK the only written text dealing with this new species.

i believe so. Andreas Fleischmann is the one who gave me the info, so it must be it. man i need to get better at german
smile_n_32.gif

aint that a slick piece of software.

I find Utricularia seed is not as complicated as people say. The limiting factour being seed age, as with any genus of plant the fresher the seed the better your odds of good germination.

I use a peat/perlite mix (your choice of mix will work as good as any) topped with peat in 3oz dixie cups, keeping water level at or slightly below soil level.

Here's a list of Utrics that I have started this way
U. bisquamata 02/02
U. longifolia 02/02
U. benthamii 03/03
U. beagleholei 'Hoppers crossing, Vic AU' -Sean Spence 02/04
U. dichotoma tuberous mix 'Jamieson, Vic AU' -Sean Spence 02/04
U. pentadactyla 12/04

Good luck with your seed,
Chris

thanks for the info. may i ask where you get ahold of your seed?

I have some Utricularia petertaylorii seed that I will soon be sowing myself.

Check out the following link if you want some info on how I germinate U. inaequalis. U. petertaylorii should germinate using exactly the same technique as it is a very close relative. In fact, any of the Australian annual species will germinate well this way- the exceptions being the northern tropical species which need heat added.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6896

The key to good germination is fresh seed. Australian annual species will generally last longer than other species as they are forced to lie on baked ground until the coming of the next seasons rains.

In regards to where voodoolizard gets his seeds, well at least a couple of them have come from myself.
smile.gif

Sean.

thanks Sean. i have my doubts about the freashness of the seeds but i figure they are worth the shot since they are already in country and not costing me much. dont know if i would order them off of Loweries seed list though.

I've actually had very good results with almost all of the Australian Utric seed I've purchased from Lowrie in the past.

In his latest new additions list he has added a number of northern Australian Utric seed that he collected during his recent trips up there. I purchased most of these and am currently awaiting germination.

U. petertaylorii seed should last quite a while. If I were you I'd sow it immediately. The best time is early Winter but you'll get away with it now.

I get seed from triffid nurseries. I would not count on any seed being fresh unless you know the person collecting the it.

A big thank you goes to Seandew for the U. beagleholei and U. dichotoma. Sean do you have any advice on getting these to flower, they just celebrated their first birthday and have not flowered yet... And if you ever want to send more feel free.

Is there somebody I can contact or who can contact me about getting some of this U. petertaylorii seed?

Chris

The only recommendations I can give on getting U. beaugleholei and U. dichotoma to flower are to keep the water level high during winter (about an inch above the substrate) and then let it recede as the warmer weather approaches. The drop in water level and extra warmth combined with a longer daylength should result in flowers.

I have also found that with the form of U. dichotoma from Jamieson that you have, a period of dryness during Summer as leaves begin to die back is preferable. At this time the plant begins to form many of the small tubers (you'll see them on the outside of the mix). I believe the plants don't flower as well without this period of dryness. It is basically emulating the conditions of its natural habitat.

In regards to getting your hands on seed of U. petertaylorii there is really only one option. As the species is an annual- and probably does not produce a lot of seed if it is anything like U. inaequalis- the collection of wild seed by Allen Lowrie is about the only way of obtaining it.

I doubt very much whether many collectors have ever grown the species in enough quantity to produce seed to spread around. Last year I pollinated every one of the 15 or so U. inaequalis flowers I had and only managed to collect enough seed to supply 2 friends with a very small amount each.

Back