What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea margaretae

Hi, finally I have flowers from my plant of G.margaretae and as I have never seen pics from this plants on the web and it is such a beauty I am sharing mine here. Hope you like it.

G.margaretae-MWelge-1.jpg

G.margaretae-MWelge-2.jpg

WOW! those ARE beautiful. I have never seen these flowering before. I think I found yet another plant I will have to get... Can I upload and share your pics?
As a relative newbie, I must ask: how difficult is Genlisea to grow and find?

Neat! I just got a little G. hispidula seedling recently... it's still a long way from flowers! I've never seen a close-up picture, so thanks for sharing! All the photos I've come across are pics of the entire plant in flower, so it looks like a little white or pink smudge connected to a little green circle by a long stem... not as interesting as your pics. The Savage Garden doesn't even picture the flowers!
CP30, I've seen Genlisea for sale at California Carnivores. I got mine from a generous forum member here with a SASE of Drosera gemmae. They don't seem particularly hard; my little seedling is doing alright, despite a recent aphid outbreak, under one two-foot forty-watt grow bulb (there are four four-foot bulbs on the shelf above that provide a little extra light, but there's a lot of stuff on that shelf so it's very indirect.) I'm going to move it to higher light soon, once it seems established. I think they have some of the neatest traps out there (although it is a bit of a challenge to grow them so you can see the traps.)
~Joe

beautiful flowers Sebastian!!

MOST Genlisea you can find are quite easy to grow. i have filliformis, hispidula, violacea x lobata, violacea and violacea "giant". filliformis is an extream pain and not one i would recomend to anyone except a die hard Utric and Genlisea nut. however the other 4 have been extreamly easy, peat/sand soil mix kept very wet in normal house hold temps and they grow and spread fairly quickly for me in shallow pots. violacea x lobata seems to be quite free flowering for me. the two violaceas i have, produced flower spikes but are seeming to take ALOT longer to develop than the hybrid but i expect flowers to open within about a week on one of them. you wont believe how high the flower spike is in relation to the size of the rossette. the last one that the hybrid produced was almost 18 inches long out of a rossette an inch and a half across. you should be able to finde violacea or violacea x lobata with out to much difficulty

WOW! Best photos of this species I have ever seen. My compliments to you Seb!

Thanks William.. good to see you around here.

Rattler, it's true most Genlisea are easy to grow, but in my experience (for some species) only in the short term.

Last year I got plants of some species and all started growing very happily, sprreading and filling the pot. Then i found a problem with species in the violacea group ( in my case with "Itacambira beauty", violacea and lobata x violacea ). These plants grow very well and after some time with me started blooming and showing their very nice flowers but then ..
smile_h_32.gif
.. suddenly the plants started to turn brown and I could not save them. Its some kind of annual behavior I think and maybe the only way to avoid this is to constantly make new plants from vegetative propagation, something I learned too late. Currently I am trying to save my G.lobata which is still blooming.

For species outside this group (aurea, hispidula, margaretae, repens ) I dont have this problems and they grow as perennials.

I'd love to read others experiences with this plants and know if someone else has suffered this kind of behavior.

CP30, you can share my pics as long as you mantain my name on them.

Regards,

Sebastian.

i believe Fernando stated that some species are annuals in the wild but i dont remember which off the top of my head. so far the two rossettes of my violacea x lobata that bloomed have not died back. this is a man made hybrid correct? there could be some variation in clones floating around, some longer lived than others. my two violacea's have not actually bloomed yet so i dont know if it will behave like an annual. if they do, i have several smaller rossettes that have popped up in their pots that will replace them. shallow pots seem to help these guys spread more since the traps are kept closer to the surface.

Rattler, in my case, having smaller rosettes in the same pot did´nt help as any trace of Genlisea in the same pot vanished. Hope you have better luck with your plants.

These are the 1st pics of this species that I've ever seen!!!

Congrats Seb!

Stunning blooms. Fabulous pics Seb.

Now I have yet another plant to add to my want list. Might have to break down and email BestCP

Back