What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia reniformis

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
smile.gif
What should I use as media and how should I water it?

Fernado swears its a terrestrial so a peat/sand mix should work and it does for alot of ppl but didnt for me and i almost killed it. im growing mine as an epiphyte right now in a couple inches of LFS sitting on orchid bark and perlite in a deep pot, watered every couple of days or so when the very top of the moss gets dry(i dont let the whole mix dry out). basically treating it more like a house plant than a normal Utric. it seems to like it and has recently produced some very nice large lolons. if your getting the large form it does like to have room to run so a good sized pot will be nessesary at some point. mine is currently in a 7 inch pot.

so if the person your getting it from is growing it as a terrestrial, start there. it should work just fine. if it takes a major dump, you ay want to try growing it as an epiphyte.

I use standard Nepenthes mix, basically the same as Rattler described. As for water, once a week, but take into account that my Reni gets misted 4x a day and is in a terrarium. No tray.

-Homer

Hi guys,

Although U.reniformis **IS** terrestrial (99.999% of times), it often grows in loose soil mixes and mosses, which is probably not that different from an epiphytic habitat.

Fernando Rivadavia

Thanks, guys. What size pot should I use? Is the plant large?

there is a large form and a small form which you have dictates what size pot you will eventually use. unless your getting an unusually large division from someone i would start out with a 3.5-4 inch pot reguardless of which form, if your getting the large form, get it established in the smaller pot and move it up to a 7 or 8 inch after you figure out how its going to grow for you. the small form will probably be happy in a 4 inch pot for some time. i definatly have the large form and am currently growing it in a 7 inch pot. i also think i have the small form(i was told it MIGHT be nephrophylla but its not growing like another Utric i have labeled as such). if it is infact the small form of reniformis it to seems to want room to run and is filling up its 3.5 inch pot fairly quickly. its lolons are just smaller.

Post some pics on your two U. nephrophylla ;>

I have my U. reniformis in peat/sand sitting in shallow water all year. They get quite a bit of light and cool temps at night. They go through growth spurts on the 'leaves'. The normal U. reniformis is a robust plant with massive stolons. It is capable of deforming the shape of my flimsy nursery pots. You will want a good sized pot eventually, to make a nice large clump in hopes of flowering it. Maybe something like a nice wide bulb pan so it has room to spread.

Back