What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What medium?

Hi,

I just got some Utrics(thanks to Copper and Rattler) and I was wondering.....what do people like to use?
It looks like rattler uses 100% milled sphagnum......
I was going to do peat/sand/milled sphagnum, but I thought I would read some advice first.
Can you tell this is not my area, lol?

Cheers,

Joe

depends on the species and what i feel like. i generally use one of these 3 mixes for terrestrials: peat/sand; peat/LFS or pure LFS. my smaller species generally get peat/sand. my different U. calycifida seems to really like peat/LFS as a 50/50 mix.

I use a mixture of peat & sand, topdressed with LFS. But I use that because I think I am mimicking nature - not because I have had years of experimentation and success.

I plant a plug in sand/peat and a plug in LFS and whatch to see which works best.

Glenn

Equal parts silica sand and peatmoss for virtually all of my Utrics.

-Homer

I use either equal parts washed peat\sand or pure washed "floater" peat with great results! I really have seen an increase of vigor\less chance of rotting after I`ve started washing my peat!

Well, all that really helps, thanks Gents!

Back