What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Media question

I am getting a U.Livida soon(courtest of SarraceniaScott) and I was wondering if I used pure LFS as a potting media if it would grow well in this? Also, it will be potted in a 4inch pot and I was wondering how high I should keep the water level on the pot.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

U. livida grows in the soil(versus on top like U. sandersonii) so peat or peat and sand works better

I'd like to generalise dewy's question:

Is peat/sand generally the best medium in question, or do diffrent types do better in different media.

(dewy, I'll send your U. livida out this Saturday; that seems to minimise transit time.)

the vast majority do best in peat/sand mix. U. sandersonii doesnt care. i posted a pic a couple weeks ago of it growig on the side of a pot. U. reniformis like a more open mix of pure LFS. U. calycifida seems to like more open mix of peat and LFS, atleast for me. lots of ppl grow it in peat and sand though. for 98% of the terrestrials peat and sand is a safe bet.

(sorry was cut off due to work)

note, these are just my observations. there are several growers on here that have been seriously into Utrics for years longer than me. but out of the 40 some pots of Utrics and Genlisea there is probably a grand total of 7 or 8 pots that dont use peat at all. most of what your going to come across will grow in pure peat or peat and sand with no problems what so ever. about the only fairly common one you will come across that can be picky in my experiance is U. reniformis. for some it does great in peat and sand and for some like me you have to grow it in LFS. it either does woderfully or it kicks off, i think what causes this is individual growing methods strongly dictate what soil mix needs to be used for this species.

now if you get in to the epiphytes thats a whole nother ball park but it will probably be awhile before you get your hands on one. good luck with your U. livida. it is the first species i got too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 29 2005,6:57)]now if you get in to the epiphytes thats a whole nother ball park but it will probably be awhile before you get your hands on one. good luck with your U. livida. it is the first species i got too.
U. longifolia is an epiphyte, isn't it?

I have one, courtesy of Copper. I currently have it in peat/sand, just like all the others.

Should I put it in something else? LFS/orchid mix, perhaps?

no U. longifolia is not an epiphyte, The Savage Garden has this wrong. in fact for Tamlin it grows quite well as an affixed aquatic. treat it like any other terrestrial. i just got it from Rose too. the most common true epiphytes that i can think of are U. asplundii and U. alpina(there is quite a bit of "U. alpina" floating around that is actually U. longifolia). any of the others are probably going to be fairly difficult to come by. if you ever get seriously interested in epiphytes or get U. reniformis, U. nelumbifolia, U. humboldtii, or U. nephrophylla, Pyro has some really good articles that i wish would get pinned on the top of this forum. any of these have different requirements, though U. nephrophylla will grow well in peat and sand.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 29 2005,9:53)]Pyro has some really good articles that i wish would get pinned on the top of this forum. any of these have different requirements, though U. nephrophylla will grow well in peat and sand.
Link, please?

sorry, no link that i am aware of, pm headed your way.

Back