What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. subulata flowers

I only ever seem to get cleistogamous flowers from my U. subulata.

Any idea on what conditions are necessary to cause it to produce pretty yellow flowers?

Mine have been getting flowers but I don't know why. I vary the light cycle in winter maybe they are sensative to the changing seasons.

Glenn

I might answer if I know what a cleistogamous flower was.
laugh.gif

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ April 11 2005,3:59)]I might answer if I know what a cleistogamous flower was.
laugh.gif

Capslock
It means the flower doesn't open up but remains closed. It can still polinate itself which is fine if you want seed, but makes identifying and unknown plant a bit difficult. Several Utricularia and some sundews do this.

I have experienced that with the U. bisquamata and think my lone U. tridentata stalk is pulling the same tease.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Any idea on what conditions are necessary to cause it to produce pretty yellow flowers?

Yeah, there are no specific conditions to make them produce yellow flowers. The best thing to do is abuse your subulata until they flower
smile_k_ani_32.gif
... that's right, you heard me ... change the photoperiod, don't water it for a long time, change the potting mix, kick it around a bit (OK, not the last bit of advice, but you get the picture). It seems that subulata flower when exposed to a drastic change in environmental conditions, and hope for the best
smile.gif

Homer

Scott I received U. subulata with the S. rubra bugweed sent me. It just started sending up flowers last week. The one's I had before in my D. capensis pot was flowering in late Feb.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 12 2005,5:50)]I have experienced that with the U. bisquamata and think my lone U. tridentata stalk is pulling the same tease.
I just noticed that the U. bisquamata growing along with my D. binata (dichotoma) just sent up a single proper flower. Very pretty, but I did not realise they were that small. It's a fraction of the size of my U. livida blossoms.

thats the small flowered form. i have it too. there is a cultivar called Betty's Bay that has much larger flowers. havent gotten a hold of it yet but havent really looked either.

copyofimg06635fa.jpg

These are amongst my S. rubra. They seem to flower better with less sun.
I'm assuming these are U. subulata.

My minibog is loaded...

Bog_Garden002_web.jpg

It seems they do better outside, under less precisely controlled conditions.

could be scott, most of th Utrics that grow well for me are subjected to temperature swings. not outragious swings but from 60 to 90 on occation.

Back