What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you tell me what this is?

• Thread starter LauraZ5
  • Start date
This isn't my plant but it sure is pretty.  Poor photo quality but if anyone can tell me what it is, that would be nice.

dca3868e.jpg

The color is different from the U. sandersonii I have which is flowering right now. Would different potting mediums combined with different lighting create such a diverse color range between the two? My flowers are considerably "bluer" than this particular Utric. The leaves are the same.

there is a U.sandersonii 'Blue Flower' form of U.sandersonii also.

Lighting and temperature might alter the color a bit. With blue/violet colored flowers though it is really hard to say for sure if the photo color is correct.

Yes, I have both U. sandersonii and U. sandersonii 'Blue'. The U. sandersonii clump photographed is not my plant.

Say Tony, I placed both U. sandersonii plants side by side and that was when I noticed the color difference. Mine is darker. My soil is a considerably different mix and my lighting and temperature range was consdierably more stable than where that clump came from. You may have something on the temperature as my plant has been maintained at around 68-70F and the other plant did not have the same consistent temps. Thanks for mentioning that. Makes perfect sense to me.

Nice Sandersonii. Now if only I could get mine to flower

Yay, bunny ears! Last March I received U. sandersonii, the blue version, and U. livida, After a month or so of trying to figure out how to take care of them, I put them at a NW facing window sill. By June the straight up U. sandersonii was blooming profusely. I'll go with light, water, and late spring as the forumula for bunny ears.

definatly sandersonii. it looks to be the blue form, well atleast like my blue form going by the shape of the flowers. my blue form has short squat "ears" my typical form has tall thin "ears". the spur on the back also goes almost straight down like in my blue form. the typical forms spur juts forward and touches the bottom of the "skirt". i didnt notice any difference untill i plucked a flower off of each plant and compaired them side by side. after that you can see there is considerable difference in flower shape.

Hmmm... never thought to compare it to my U. sandersonii 'Blue'. I will do that when that plant starts blooming. I'm thinking you may have something there but I will have to wait a bit to compare. I'll have to do it from the photo though as I just mailed the plant out.

if i had better photo equipment i would show yah but i have a heck of a time getting close ups.

U. sandersonii 'Blue'! If my plant would have been flowering, I probably would have caught it myself. Thanks Rattler! How go the wedding plans?

not bad, actually Darlas sisters is going to be interesting. ours should run without a hitch but then we are pretty easy going and good at going with the flow. good luck at blooming your blue form. Jim gets mad at me when ever i bring up that mines blooming and has been for months as i think we have the same clone
smile_n_32.gif

Here is a comparison of my U. sandersonii "typical" and "blue" clones. Notice that the "ears" on the "typical" are longer and narrower and the "skirt" on the "blue" is wider. There is a yellowish stripe in the center of the "typical" "skirt".

"typical" (below)
U_sandersonii_typical.jpg

"blue" (below)
U_sandersonii_blue.JPG

much better photos than i have. nice pics Bob.

That settles it, The plant was U. sandersonii 'Blue'. Thank you Bob.

Back