What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genlisea traps

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Here's a picture of my Genlisea violacea 'Giant' traps.

133Gviolacea.jpg

Cool. Can't wait for the G. lobata that you gave me to send its roots outside the pot so I can see them as well.

-Homer

very cool, i always get a kick when i transplant or get a dig a plant out for trading. love seeing those traps. interesting note on another species, i recently repotted my G. filiformis and it only has more or less normal looking roots rather than twisted traps, but they are fairly small so maybe it just hasnt produced traps yet

Homer,
As a side note, my G. lobata has not grown any roots into the water. It has been in a pot longer then the G. violacea 'Giant' by several months. I'm going to repot the G. lobata into a regular pot. Maybe mine does not like the water and you will have better results.
If your G. lobata does not send any traps into the water either let me know and I can send some G. violacea 'Giant' to you as it seems it does not mind getting it's feet wet.
smile_n_32.gif

Just a note: Genlisea do not produce roots. The traps are modified leaves. If you're not seeing the twisted arms, then your traps are either deformed, not fully developed yet or they broke off when pulled from the pot. As for G.violacea giant, it is the most prolific producer of traps that I know and it produces plenty of leaves from its long traps. Other species of the G.violacea group (including G.lobata and G.uncinata) will spontaneously produce leaves from traps, but not as often. I've never sen this happen for the yellow flowered species however....

Best Wishes,
Fernando Rivadavia

must not be fully developed yet, i was quite carefull to keep breakage to a minimum. G. filiformis is proving to be the brat of the bunch not wanting to do much of anything for me. G. hispidula and G. violacea are spreading quite rapidly and cover most of a 2.5 inch pot where my G. filliformis consists of 4 very tiny rosettes? and i have had it for several months longer than the other two.

Homer,
I had 2 pots of G. lobata. Both pots were undrained and they both had a high water line.
What I noticed when repotting that they had a lot of traps on them, but they were not deep in the soil, growing more horizontal. It seems to me that the G. lobata does not like it that wet. I repotted both pots into a drained pot now.

Do you change the water before taking a photo?  That is crystal clear water.

LOL

Yes Laura, I did change the water before the picture. I waited 6 weeks before I changed it and it was rather green.

OK, I feel much better now. I have water out with U. macrorhiza in it and it hasn't even been a week and it has a tinge of greenish tan to it already.  I was looking at your photo and thinking that if my water is supposed to look like yours, my plant was doomed.

Back