What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utric flower stalks

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Except for U. livida & sandersonii, I don't get to see arenaria, tridentata, bisquamata, Sp. 2, etc... actually bloom. Does anybody know why?

JimS, in my experience, many species of Utricularia take intense light. could this be the problem?

Could be. They are all on the window sill. I don't have enough SW-facing sills. So maybe I'll have to acclimate to outside - and away from that stream!

Away from the stream sounds good! I remember that I had problems getting U. longifolia to bloom. I moved the grow lights as close to the plants as possible to get them to spike. When they finally did, I had to pull back the lights to allow the spike room. I learned the hard way as I burnt quite a few when not paying attention.

Joe, as you've seen, I am using pure sunlight through window sills. Perhaps as the photoperiod approaches peak I might see some action?

Hmmm, the plants are organizing and forming a "no bloom union" until their demands are met? Talk to them, see if you can get them to cooperate ;)

Oh no... I hadn't thought of that. Do you think they will go on strike? This can't be. Wait, they are emptying their bladders. Their leader is about to speak:
smile_m_32.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah, last AprilH, they got together and decided they were going to have a Yuri Wildcat strike if conditions don't improve. They didn't like the oldies music I was playing, especially the song called Tell LauraZ5 and it will be Death66 to anybody crosses the line. They wanted to hear more Ozzy and I had better stop feeding them Tuna Surprise or there is going to be some serious maehem, perhaps a little Pyro or Fyresprite.  
smile_m_32.gif

Steve, would you expect any differently?

My U. bisquamata almost never flowers inside, and my U. subulata only produces cleistogamous flowers inside.

However, outside, they both flower copiously.

My U. livida flowers very well inside, but the flowers never develop purple color; outside, they develop beautiful purple color.

Scott, what does cleistogamous mean?

it basically means they dont open up but do fertilze themselves

Not a stranger to Google, trust me. I thought it would be good for all, including myself, to be educated. Thanks for the link!

Back