What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whooooooohooooooooo!

i was looking over my pots last night and what do i discover: a lil tiny Utric lolon in the pot i planted the U. petertaylorii seeds in. *does a lil dance* granted there is a small chance it is from the seeds of one of my other Utrics but i have been quite religious on removing dead flowers well before seed pods ripen and have kept this pot a ways away from the other Utric pots so i think its a very slim chance.

*must see pictures*
smile.gif

dont think i could get the camera to focus on something that small. if it is the petertaylorii its an annual species so it will put on size fast i would think

Oh... well... in that case.... TRADE?!

Mine have recently germinated now that the weather has cooled.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 25 2005,6:25)]i was looking over my pots last night and what do i discover: a lil tiny Utric lolon in the pot i planted the U. petertaylorii seeds in. *does a lil dance* granted there is a small chance it is from the seeds of one of my other Utrics but i have been quite religious on removing dead flowers well before seed pods ripen and have kept this pot a ways away from the other Utric pots so i think its a very slim chance.
Peter Taylor, the namesake of the species, would be distraught at you using the term "lolon" to refer to the leaves!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (gardenofeden @ May 27 2005,9:00)]Peter Taylor, the namesake of the species, would be distraught at you using the term "lolon" to refer to the leaves!
He certainly would. Here is what Taylor has to say in his monograph (page 8):
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Leaves.
It seems reasonable to me that plants which have, in defiance of the general rule, no radicle or roots and no true cotyledons, may be allowed to have leaves which disobey the rules .... By calling them leaves a few difficulties do arise, but these are relatively unimportant in the context of the overall diversity and nonconforming nature of the vegetative morphology as a whole.

There is an interesting discussion on the topic of Utricularia terminology on the CPUK Forum at
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9789

souns great, I'm not much of an utric guy, unless they have big leaves, or traps, I get some when theyre being given away, but utrics mainly aren't my Thing

congrats Sean. after mine grew for abit it suddenly was just gone. i think some bug or something decided to munch my one lil plant. anyways i hope to try it again at some point in the future

Hahaha, the lolon rears it's head! I coined that word to facilitate discussions with my friends finding it painfully absurd to have to write "above ground photosynthetic parts" and "Sub-surface bladder bearing stolons" to be "correct". Peter Taylor was remiss, and it tickles me to see the usage spreading like wildfire to the far corners of the Earth....and perhaps, someday, beyond!!!

Tamlin, it won't get much further, as the TAYLOR
(Taxonomists Against Yanks' Lolons Or Rolons)
Alliance now patrol the web...!!!
smile_m_32.gif

I wish to add my full support (for what it's worth) to the TAYLOR Alliance.

Giles

Congrats, I haven't had any luck with my U. arenaria seeds germinating. I make sure the medium is really wet and it gets plenty of sun but I haven't seen any seedlings yet. I might just give up soon because it's been a little over a month and I know that utric seeds are shortlived.

Good luck on that seedling!

-(Kyle)-

i wouldnt give up yet. it was 6 weeks or so before i saw anything. and all Utric seed isnt short lived. alot of the Aussie species are annuals in nature and their seed is actually fairly long lived. but for most of the epiphytes and non annual species its going to be fairly short lived

They aren't short lived? Oh, the person I got them from said they are. Well that's cool. Thanks.

Back