What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A unexpected find

Finch

Whats it to ya?
Yeh, i know it reseeds, but i never tought it would happen to me. I never bought or tried to obtain terrastrial bladderworts and had no plans to get any in the near future. I found some flowering in my D. Aliciae pot that must have gone undetected for a while, because there were none when i obtained the plant so i guess it came from seed.

How do i care for it> i assume its the same requierments as the plant its growing with, but im worried that one might swamp/takeover the pot or crowd out the other. what do i do?

Wow two agressive plants. Let 'em batle it out. I bet alicae wins

p.s i always heard the flowers would be tiny, but i never tought they'd be  that tiny LOL

On came up for me for free, and if im gonna collect 'em, i shouldnt let one die out in my collection. anyway, i WANT this plant

do i need to worry about it getting agressive, too?

It will not push anything out of the way except maybe other utircs. But I don't know about that. Mine has one of the big leafed Utrics growing through it. You must have the miniture version like me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ June 04 2005,5:25)]do i need to worry about it getting agressive, too?
Just keep the booze away from it.

I hear it's a mean drunk.

Hey Finch, for what it's worth I have quite a few terrestrial Utrics that are trying to jump pots. The livida, graminifolia, bisquamata, longifolia, and one other one for sure.  I am now keeping their pots far far away from other plants and  I am going to dead head them.  I think I have about gotten my fill of these plants trying to escape into other pots.  Who would have thunk!  I also have to tell you that I was "gifted" some sort of terrestrial Utric in plants I ordered from California Carnivores and I didn't even wait to find out what they were in favor of trashing them. They were growing up into the crown and that didn't sit well with me so I barerooted those plants and separated them from all my other plants. I am beginning it get the feeling that Utrics can be extremely aggressive. Just my humble opinion.

It should be fairly easy to get below the surface and separate out some of the stolons to plant in fresh media. Regular division is good for terresterial Utricularia. On the other hand, I have not found Utricularia to bother any CP. The problem arises when the seeds infect other Utricularia, and then only if you demand a pure culture. (Some Utricularia actually benefit from close association with other species within the genus, and a couple are only found in associations like this). In a way, the presence of Utricularia probably indicates good housekeeping, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was proven the plants help keep the medium healthy in some way.
Standard CP care is all that is needed: clean media, good water and regular division. If you like U. bisquamata, 'Betty's Bay' produces much larger flowers and is not invasive.

Back