What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowing aquatic utric seeds

Hello,

I just bought some Utricularia Volubillis seed and I really don't know how I should go about planting them. Do I start with a lot of water or a little? How far in the medium should they be sown? I'm also not quite sure what type of medium is best. I've read that some of you use leaves??

I did a quick search and came up with a topic that discusses this species somewhat:

U. volubilis

Utricularia volubilis is not actually an aquatic species. An affixed aquatic is probably a better term. It spends its entire life underwater growing in depths of around 2 feet. It spreads across the substrate by stolons forming a dense mat of plants. When in flower they are a spectacular sight- I'd post some if I could scan my slides. Definitely not a beginners plant as it requires good conditions to thrive.

Awww man, why'd I have to get one thats not a beginers plant! Oh well, I guess the best thing I can do is just try. It's already floating in the US postal system on its way here anyway.

Live and learn I guess

So since its an affixed aquatic, do I sow the seeds like a terrestrial?

no harm in trying it, some plants just do really well for some ppl reguardless of how difficult they are supposed to be. i fyou want to grow a wide variety of CPs your bound to have some failures. heck im on my 4th try with VFT's(fourth times a charm?) and ive had no difficulties with my Ceph which is supposed to be a bit of a pain. not sure how you go about planting the seeds though.....i have almost no experiance with Utric seed

I was sent U. bisquamata seed last year. I think it was from Noah. I mixed peat & sand and it grew like a weed. I think I remember reading that they do best in a media that allows them to spread, such as sand and LFS.

Back