What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Native to Africa, Madagascar, and South America, these carnivores are related to Pinguicula and Utricularia, but their traps are like no other. Genlisea grow as an amphibious species, and sometimes terrestrials, in wet, peaty, sand. They are found in tropical regions. Genlisea produce leafy stalons above the soil surface, which, unlike most Utricularia, grow in a rosette. These stalons reach lengths from one to three inches long. However, it is Genlisea’s subterranean traps that make them unique among carnivorous plants. The traps range in size of two to six inches in length and resemble a two-pronged corkscrew, hence the name, corkscrew plant. The trap structure is relatively complex. From the base of the plant, hollow stalks penetrate deep into the soil. About halfway down, the stalk swells into a hollow “stomach”, a digestive chamber. The trap then continues as a hollow tube, until it promptly forks into two prongs. At the base of the fork there is a slit that continues down the length of both prongs in which tiny creatures, such as protozoa, enter at any point. They cannot escape because of stiff hairs, similar to the hairs of Darlingtonia, force them to continue to the “stomach”, where they are digested by aid of digestive acids.
The blooms of Genlisea rival that of orchids. They are small and colored yellow, violet, white, and combinations of the colors.
There are about twenty known species

The Species

G. africana- This species is native to a large area in Africa.

G. angolensis- This species is native to Angola.

G. aurea- Endemic to Brazil, this yellow flowered species is unusual in that it produces thick mucilage over its stalons. The purpose of this mucilage is unknown, but it is supposed that the mucilage protects the plant from snails and slugs.  

G. barthlottii- This species is native to upper Guinea.

G. filiformis- This minute, yellow, or sometimes, white flowered species is native to northern South America.

G. glabra- This species is native to Venezuela

G. glandulosissima-This species is native to Zambia.

G. guianenesis- Native to Guyana, Venezuela, and Brazil, this species has purple flowers.

G. hispidula- This dark pink flowered species is native to Africa is a very variable plant.

G. lobata- This Brazilian species is white with a yellow throat patch. The upper half of the flower is blue.

G. margaretae- This species has extremely long traps for its size and is native to Madagascar, Zambia, and Tanzania. Its flowers are a reddish purple.

G. pallida- This Zambian species has yellow flowers.

G. pygmaea- This yellow flower plant is native to South America.

G. repens- Also native to South America, this yellow flowered plant often grows alongside Heliamphora and Brocchinia.

G. roraimensis- This yellow flowered species is native to Venezuela.

G. sanariapoarra- This species from Venezuela has pinkish purple flowers.

G. stapfii- This West African species comes from the Ivory Coast. It has small stalons that are arranged neatly in a minute rosette. Its small and dainty flowers are purple.

G. subglabra-This species is from Congo and Zambezi in Africa.  

G. uncinata- This giant species is another species that is endemic to Brazil. Its flower stems can reach a height of about thirty inches and can be as thick as a pencil at the base.

G. violacea- Native to South America, the flowers of this species are a violet color.

The Cultivation of Genlisea

Soil- Genlisea take well to a sandy peat mix. Pure peat moss or long fibered sphagnum also works well.  
Containers- Genlisea like to be waterlogged, so undrained containers are best for this plant. Drained containers also work well if they are sitting in a tray of water.
Water- Genlisea appreciate to be waterlogged.
Light- Part sun is best for Genlisea. Bright light encourages robust stalon growth.
Climate-As tropicals, Genlisea are used to warm and humid climates. Best kept above sixty but below ninety degrees.
Growing Environments- Genlisea thrive in the terrarium, hot house, and stove house.
Feeding-Introduce daphnia into water if your plants are grown aquatically.  
Fertilization- An occasional foliar feed benefits them greatly.
Transplanting- Can be done anytime.
Pests and diseases- Fungus may be a problem in dark and stagnant conditions.
Propagation- Leaf or trap cuttings are the easiest and fastest ways to get mature plants. Simply break a trap or leaf off and set it on moist peat moss. In a few weeks, plantlets will develop.
Seed is another way to propagate Genlisea, but mature plants take longer to develop. With a toothpick, collect some pollen from the ripe anthers, and dab it on the green stigma pad. A few days after successful pollination, the petals will fall of and the ovary will begin to swell. The pod will split after several weeks. Sow the seeds on damp peat moss in a warm, bright, and humid environment and germination should occur within a few weeks.

there needs to be a notation next to G. filliformis: PAIN IN THE REAR TO GROW

however since i got some tips from Pyro it is doing a bit better

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]G. filiformis- This minute, purple flowered species is native to northern South America

Ummm... Actually this species has yellow flowers. Or sometimes white and yellow.

S, glad to hear the tips helped
smile.gif
Mine is about to flower so I hope to get some nice shots of the blooms. If they don't abort like they did last time.

Hey SunPitcher!

Are you writing these articles yourself?

If not, a link to where they are from would be appreciated!

yeah it much prefers the live LFS but now i have to keep the LFS trimmed back otherwise it will over grow it in about 10 days, it sure is a tiny lil species. the flowers on violacea are larger than several rossettes combined. i do see a couple new rossettees though its growing nowhere near as fast as my G. violacea or G. hispidula

Really? Yellow or white? Gee! All of my sources say purple! lol. I am taking your word for it, since there were no pics available on the web.

Yes, I write these articles. I plan to write about all cps, but haven't finished. I am working on darlingtonia. Drosera, Pinguicula, Nepenthes and Utricularia are going to be a PAIN! lol.
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ July 01 2005,10:46)]Yes, I write these articles.
Then self-attribute! You've done a nice job; give yourself credit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Really? Yellow or white? Gee! All of my sources say purple! lol.

Might want to double check those sources. Or find more reliable ones (i.e. Taylor)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am taking your word for it, since there were no pics available on the web.

confused.gif

Go to Google and type "Genlisea filiformis" into the image search and you get tons of hits.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]G. margaretae- This species has extremely long traps for its size and is native to Madagascar, Zambia, and Tanzania. Its flowers are a yellow color.

And this guy has purple flowers
smile.gif

wow! That helps! lol. Checked them! They did say white/yellow. Must have been a typo. sorry for confusion.
smile_n_32.gif

I use your page Bob! All is not lost! ;)
And nice job, SunPitcher. Are you compiling these on to a website or just donating them to the forums?
~Joe

just sharing info, not going to be compiled or anything.
smile.gif

thanks,
alex

very nice. This should be made a permanent post....this is the kind of concise and comprehensive information that newbies to genlisea need! Especially those that don't have a CP book yet.

Back