What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi:

I won another auction at ebay and have the following utrics coming:

Utricularia dichotoma
Utricularia reniformis forma courte
Utricularia pubescens Utricularia livida
Utricularia monanthos
Utricularia livida

I understand that these are all terrestrial utrics. What I don't understand is if they should always have their pots standing in water? They will get a terrarium of their own but will be kept in individual pots. (Those individual pots sure make it easier to take photographs as desired!)

you need individual posts cause unless they are blooming they all pretty much look the same. U. reniformis will have different leaves. yes their pots need to stand in water. im having difficulties with U. reniformis but others say its easy. other than reniformis, shallow pots sitting in a tray with water levels fairly close to the surface works great. pure peat works for soil as does peat and sand mixes

Go with a lighter mix for reniformis and DO NOT let it sit in water. The last couple years I have done numerous abusive things to small divisions of reniformis just to get an idea of what they do and do not like. One thing I consistently find is that prolonged standing in water is usually going to result in a quick demise. I recommend a mix of equal parts fine grade orchid bark and LFS topped with live sphag works best. Put it in a large pot and top water only often enough to keep the moss from drying out. Here in ATL that amounts to once a week for my main plant which resides in a 9 x 12 bonsai tray sitting in 50% shade on my deck. Obviously conditions will vary for you.

sorry i didnt elaborate on the U. reniformis. im hoping my issue is humidity related and my new highland nep setup will do it wonders. i am growing it like Pyro says though.

The sit in water rule is also not an absolute.  Drought here has led to some forced experiments and most of the terresterials have proven to be quite hardy, continuing to thrive even with the surface nearly bone dry, so there is leeway.  I grow most of mine on a wet to dry cycle, flooding the tray and then allowing it to stand for several days without water.  These are easy plants to grow.  Water U. reniformis as you would a houseplant.

huh most of my terrestrials show stress long before the top of the soil even gets close to being dry. they really seem to do their best when the water table is fairly high. like ive always said not everything works for everyone.

I wouldn't suggest that you let the pots dry out, just wanted to say there is a bit of leeway there...actually a lot more than I would have thought for many of them. U. lateriflora and U. sandersonii were bone dry at the surface and continued to thrive much to my amazement.

possibally a differance in clones or something else. i have seen my U. sandersonii start suffering with low water levels and this is with me using shallow pots. if the water level drops so that only 1/8 of the 2 inch high pot is in the water for a week or more than it starts dieing back. as long as i keep the water atleast 1 inch deep for most of the week my U. sandersonii does great. 1/8 inch of water still keeps the soil nice and damp but this species really seems to do better for me in saturated conditions. the U. aureomaculata clone i have doesnt mind the same drop in water table and it has the same growth pattern as sandersonii. like i said not everything will work for everyone. and the sooner yah realize this and are willing to do a bit of experimenting the better off you will be. heck the way im growing Darlingtonia leaves most shaking their heads. i am also growing a colorful and compact Venus flytap over 12 inches from flourecent lights. it shouldnt be doing well there but it is.

anyways other than reniformis, in my experiance those Utrics do well in pure peat, a shallow pot and a high water table.

Just a comment. Nothing is absolute you are aboslutely right rattler. Just as an example I am growing a cattleya alliance orchid in a clay pot with sphag moss. This is considered a big no no with that type of orchids and according to everyone it should be dead now, but its thriving. So everyone just needs to give their experience and let the one asking the question use it as guidelines. That is my rule of thumb.

I am also new at these. I'm confused at the water level question also..
So if I put all terrs. ones in pots in a terrarium. Say the pots are 4in high, then I should fill the terrarium/or tray underneath at 3in high?
Also, whats the best/least lighting for these?

Its not that U.reniformis is particualy difficult.....its that it wont flower!!!!
If any of the people here sucessfully ever flowered it, you are very very lucky!!!

actually lots of ppl who have good luck growing it seem to have good luck flowering it. its no where near as hard as U. tricolor and some others to flower. if it grows good for you it should flower. this species supposed to have to reach a minimum pot size before it will flower. its one species that you need to grow in larger pots if you want it to flower.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Aug. 02 2005,10:51)]actually lots of ppl who have good luck growing it seem to have good luck flowering it. its no where near as hard as U. tricolor and some others to flower. if it grows good for you it should flower. this species supposed to have to reach a minimum pot size before it will flower. its one species that you need to grow in larger pots if you want it to flower.
Im afriaid I disagree, many growers in Europe say the same as me, I have had mine for 2 years and its doing great, but no flowers
Im going to increase its pot size frokm 15 cm to 25 cm this year, and if it doesnt flower by next summer then I domt think it will ever flower

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Im afriaid I disagree, many growers in Europe say the same as me

hmmm most of the flowering reniformis photos i have seen are from European growers as it seems more common over thare though its not really rare here either. most growers notes that i have seen state that you need a 20cm-25cm pot to get it to bloom reliably. i have been told by many European and US growers that its not terribly difficult to bloom once its large and established. but most ppl try to keep it in a 15cm pot or smaller to save on space and they are going by the fact all their other Utrics have bloomed in 5-10cm pots

What kind of lighting are you used CMother for your bladderwort terrarium?

I have 160 watts of light over a 20 gallon long aquarium. am thinking of just buying another shoplight even though it will "hang" over both ends a bit.

Back