What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. reniformis

I recently acquired a U. Reniformis "Enfant Terrible" and it is growing like crazy. In a period of three weeks, it has sent up six leaves (one of which hit the top of my 10 gallon terrarium) and a scape. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced such a growth spurt?

No, but then again i don't grow Enfant Terrible, I have a giant form that has a flower opening on it as we speak, the scape is about 2 feet tall and i've had the plant for a short time.

we expect pics of course, Dustin
laugh.gif

im having a heck of a time with the species, it just doesnt like me. the others ive tried in its group, U. nephrophylla and U. nelumbifolia are doing great. i just cant get reniformis to do much for me.

I haver the same problem, rattler...

Just repotted the remains of mine (a inch-long scrap) in yet a new media and adopting yet another regime to try and make it happy.

I feel for you, Rattler. I grow nelumbifolia with no problems, but reniformis doesn't seem to like me... however, it is slowly improving. The main thing seems to be not to let it sit in water.

Cole

Cole, yeah Pyro gave me that bit of info some months back. it improved and was looking great for about 6 or 8 weeks and than it crashed again 2 weeks or so again, not sure if its going to recover this time.

Ive just reppoted mine into a 25cm pot(it apparently grows and flowers a lot beter in huge pots rather then reasonable or small sized ones) Il let youa ll know ow it does
BTW its the large form that I have

I have a plant that may or may not be 'Enfant'. It is a very prolific grower, much faster than my "giant" form. That siad it is somewhat seasonal with its growth and I have yet to get blooms. That may be because I still have it in a 12cm pot that it is about to burst.

Come to think of it, I don't think i've ever seen the actual flower of any of the smaller forms of Reniformis.

I have both forms, and find the smaller 'Enfant Terrible' to be the less demanding of two. For me, both forms sit doing nothing, and then burst into unpredictable growth. An article in Carniflora Australis explained how the grower grew his in potting soil kept watered like a houseplant with monthly applications of orchid fertilizer. The results were up to 3 flowering events per season for him. His plants were greenhouse grown. I believe that this species also needs room to run, and this means a large volume container due to the size. Much of the plants growth is below the surface and things can get pretty cramped fairly quickly. I found that division sparks rapid new above ground growth, so if yours is languishing you might want to experiment. For me, the experiment was initiated by squirrels using my container to bury nuts. They tore the plant to bits and I thought it would be a loss. The actual result was a forest of new growth.

Back