What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major u. subulata purge!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I just spent the past hour trying to separate out several Mexican pings, a sundew, and a U.tricolor from U. subulata. Man, I hope I got all of them! I made one huge tray of the weeds and I'm taking them home, away from all my other CP's! I have a bazillion stalks of them, but haven't seen any flowers. Anybody experience the same?

I have given up fighting with this plant. I have managed to keep it out of my terrestrial Utric tanks but it is everywhere else. I have just learned to live with it. At least I get bloom often enough from mine though right noe they are in a cleisto phase

What was disappointing in my latest organizational / rearrangement was that what I thought was originally U. tricolor sending up aborted scapes - was in fact subulata. Very disappointing. As much as I could, I have them in one large tray, outside, away from others - eastern exposure. Also, the little trcolor I do have is so enmeshed with subulata, that I have it sitting in a tray of water, for further separation.

Sounds like you have the more cleistogamous form of old subby - other clones produce more open flowers on taller scapes. Like pyro, I seggregate U. subulata from the other terresterial Utric's and grow it well away from the collection. I feel its presence in other genera is not a worry, in fact it is an indicator of good conditions and the plant may afford some good housekeeping measures to boot.

Also I note from several infected terresterial Utricularia's over the ages that U. subulata can act as a good medium for other terresterials! Such heresy!! My U. sandersonii does best growing on it, and considering some terresterials are found in association in habitat, it might be worth experimenting along these lines with spare material.

*raises eyebrows in Spock-like manner* Wow, really? Never wouls have guessed that! I think their disappeal is like that of the dandelion - far too successful for everybody's tastes, yet attractive and pragmatic.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Aug. 25 2005,1:28)]*raises eyebrows in Spock-like manner* Wow, really? Never wouls have guessed that! I think their disappeal is like that of the dandelion - far too successful for everybody's tastes, yet attractive and pragmatic.
well who decided tulips were so great?

Back