What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tricolor

I have a few questions regarding U.tricolor.
1. What soil media works best? Will pure LFS work fine?
2. Also, how high does it like the water table to be?
The reason I am asking is so I can get it to grow faster as I would like share it with some of my friends.It is not growing vey fast right now and I was wondering if this is normal?

Thanks,
dewy

I can't say I know the perfect soil mix for this Utric, but mine is in a mix of sand and peat. I keep it wet. It spreads. Of all the soil media out there and the various combinations, it seems as though LFS is the best all-round choice. Utrics like to spread underneath the surface and LFS is one that allows that.

ideal? who knows. here is what i have tried so far and had great success growing it but havent had any luck getting it to flower

#1 peat sand high water table
#2 peat sand low water table
#3 pure LFS high water table
#4 pure LFS watered heavily than allowed to dry out
#5 no media shallow water

in each case the plant flurished, spread fast but never bloomed or even sent up a spike. i would say this plant also likes good light.

I grow it in with U. gibba (shallow fluctuating water above shallow peat, in small plastic carton). It's been flowering beautifully this year.

Giles

It apparently grows in hot, wet and sunny places.......so maybe you could try keeping it warm and wet with plenty of sun?
Dino

Back